Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Gathering Data

I've asked this question elsewhere with no responses. I have several
worksheets, each containing data pertaining to a subset of a
population. I also have a master sheet which contains all of the data
from all of the subset sheets. Thus, this master sheet contains data
pertaining to the entire population. THe master sheet is sorted.
Currently whenever I add new data to one of the subset sheets, I
manually copy this information onto the master sheet and then resort
the master sheet. This is very tedious. How can I cause the master
sheet to automatically update and resort every time I add new data to
one of the subset sheets? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

--
Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34730

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub CopytheRowoftheActiveCell()
With Worksheets("Master")
selection.EntireRow.copy Destination:=
.Cells(rows.count,1).End(xlup)(2)
..Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=.Range("B1"), _
Header:=xlYes
End With
End With

Click in your cell or Cells/rows with the new data and run the macro.

Tom Ogilvy

"Spreadsheet" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom,

THanks for the reply. I'm new to macros so if you could give me a bit
of help with how to create one with this code it would be appreciated.
Which parts of the code need to be customized to my specific
worksheets?

--
Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34730
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551134

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the mastersheet is named something other than Master, change that.

If you want to sort on a different column than column 2, then change
Key1:=.Range("B2") to
Key1:=.range("F2") (for example to sort on column F)

If your data on the master sheet doesn't start with row header in row A
starting in column 1 then that would need to be altered.

Sub CopytheRowoftheActiveCell()
With Worksheets("Master")
selection.EntireRow.copy Destination:=
.Cells(rows.count,1).End(xlup)(2)
..Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=.Range("B1"), _
Header:=xlYes
End With
End With

All testing should be performed on a copy of your workbook incase it all
turns awry.

Tom Ogilvy

"Spreadsheet" wrote:

Hi Tom,

THanks for the reply. I'm new to macros so if you could give me a bit
of help with how to create one with this code it would be appreciated.
Which parts of the code need to be customized to my specific
worksheets?

--
Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34730
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551134

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

VB didn't like parts of the code, so I changed it to this:

Sub CopytheRowoftheActiveCell()
With Worksheets("All")
Selection.EntireRow.Copy Destination:=.Cells(Rows.Count
1).End(xlUp)(2)
Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=.Range("B2"), _
Header:=xlYes
End With
End Sub

When I ran the macro, it said that the sort reference was not valid

--
Spreadshee
Spreadsheet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3473

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You almost got it right:

Sub CopytheRowoftheActiveCell()
With Worksheets("All")
Selection.EntireRow.Copy Destination:= _
.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)(2)
.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort _
Key1:=.Range("B2"), Header:=xlYes
End With
End Sub

This assumes row 1 on "All" has your headers in it.

Tom Ogilvy

"Spreadsheet"
wrote in message

VB didn't like parts of the code, so I changed it to this:

Sub CopytheRowoftheActiveCell()
With Worksheets("All")
Selection.EntireRow.Copy Destination:=.Cells(Rows.Count,
1).End(xlUp)(2)
Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=.Range("B2"), _
Header:=xlYes
End With
End Sub

When I ran the macro, it said that the sort reference was not valid.

--
Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551134

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks a bunch Tom, the macro is functional now.I just have a fe
concerns.

1) Right now the macro adds the selected row to the "ALL" workshee
according to the number in column B. This works very well when the ne
row to be added to the ALL sheet has a number in column B that i
greater than any number in column B of the ALL sheet (the new row i
then added to the bottom of the sheet). However, when the new row to b
added to the ALL sheet has a number in column B that is less than som
of the numbers in column B of the ALL sheet, the macro finds the righ
place for the new column and then overwrites whatever was currently i
that place on the ALL sheet. This may occur because there could be man
rows with the same number in column B.

SOLUTION? Can the macro insert a new row and then add the ne
information to it?

2) The oonly other issue is this: If I want to merely update a row tha
already exists, I don't want this row to be added to the ALL sheet,
just want the information to be updated.

SOLUTION? The runs a logical test to see if the number in Column
(this number is unique) of the currently selected row exists on the AL
sheet in Column C. If it does, then the row containing this number i
overwritten by the currently selected row. If the number does not exis
in Column C of the ALL sheet, the macro proceeds to insert a row in th
correct place and writes the information there.

Are these suggestions possible? I'm not a programmer so I don't know i
that would be easy or not, but it seems like it shouldn't be impossible
Thanks again for all the help

--
Spreadshee
Spreadsheet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3473
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55113

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The macro, as written, always copies the row to the bottom of the ALL sheet
and then sorts all the data in ALL. So, unless there are blank cells in
column 1, there should be no overwriting. The numbers in column B are not
involved in what the macro does.

If there will or could be blank cells in column 1, then the macro will need
to be modified to find the bottom of the data another way (perhaps a column
that won't have blank cells).

This thread it getting pretty far back in the stack, so if you want furher
help from me, you probably need to contact me directly with a sample
workbook and the below explanation of what you want to do.

Tom Ogilvy

"Spreadsheet" wrote
in message ...

Thanks a bunch Tom, the macro is functional now.I just have a few
concerns.

1) Right now the macro adds the selected row to the "ALL" worksheet
according to the number in column B. This works very well when the new
row to be added to the ALL sheet has a number in column B that is
greater than any number in column B of the ALL sheet (the new row is
then added to the bottom of the sheet). However, when the new row to be
added to the ALL sheet has a number in column B that is less than some
of the numbers in column B of the ALL sheet, the macro finds the right
place for the new column and then overwrites whatever was currently in
that place on the ALL sheet. This may occur because there could be many
rows with the same number in column B.

SOLUTION? Can the macro insert a new row and then add the new
information to it?

2) The oonly other issue is this: If I want to merely update a row that
already exists, I don't want this row to be added to the ALL sheet, I
just want the information to be updated.

SOLUTION? The runs a logical test to see if the number in Column C
(this number is unique) of the currently selected row exists on the ALL
sheet in Column C. If it does, then the row containing this number is
overwritten by the currently selected row. If the number does not exist
in Column C of the ALL sheet, the macro proceeds to insert a row in the
correct place and writes the information there.

Are these suggestions possible? I'm not a programmer so I don't know if