Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Option Button Grouped

I have a option button and label grouped and what of set the option
button to value xlon. I cannot seem to be able to set the value when
it's grouped.

I have been trying this which finds the option button but will not set
the value.

Dim ob As OptionButton

For Each ob In ActiveSheet.OptionButtons
If ob.Name = "Group 498" Then
ob.Value = xlOn
End If
Next

I get error 'Run-time error 1004': Unable to set the value property of
the optionbutton class.

Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not surprised your code doesn't work but I am surprised not to be able
to change a grouped Forms optionbutton after referencing it within the
Group.

If you can use an ActiveX option button then the following works

Sub test()
Dim shp As Shape, giShp As Shape
For Each shp In ActiveSheet.Shapes
If shp.Name = "Group 3" Then
For Each giShp In shp.GroupItems
If giShp.Name = "OptionButton1" Then
With giShp.DrawingObject.Object
.Value = Not .Value
End With

End If
Next
End If
Next

Peter T

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a option button and label grouped and what of set the option
button to value xlon. I cannot seem to be able to set the value when
it's grouped.

I have been trying this which finds the option button but will not set
the value.

Dim ob As OptionButton

For Each ob In ActiveSheet.OptionButtons
If ob.Name = "Group 498" Then
ob.Value = xlOn
End If
Next

I get error 'Run-time error 1004': Unable to set the value property of
the optionbutton class.

Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm confused.

If you're just changing a single optionbutton's value, why not just:
Activesheet.optionbuttons("Option button 1").value = xlon

But if you've grouped your option buttons (from the Forms toolbar) and want to
do something to a particular group, you can find that group like:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
Dim ob As OptionButton
For Each ob In ActiveSheet.OptionButtons
If ob.GroupBox.Name = "Group Box 498" Then
If ob.Name = "Option Button 1" Then
ob.Value = xlOn
Exit For 'stop checking ???
Next ob
End Sub

But the GroupBox and optionbutton each will have their own names.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dave,

Activesheet.optionbuttons("Option button 1").value = xlon

That doesn't work for me if the Forms Option button is grouped, nor does the
testme routine you posted.

Regards,
Peter T

wrote:

I have a option button and label grouped and what of set the option
button to value xlon. I cannot seem to be able to set the value when
it's grouped.

I have been trying this which finds the option button but will not set
the value.

Dim ob As OptionButton

For Each ob In ActiveSheet.OptionButtons
If ob.Name = "Group 498" Then
ob.Value = xlOn
End If
Next

I get error 'Run-time error 1004': Unable to set the value property of
the optionbutton class.

Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong.

Thank you.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

With an option button and a rectangle in group it failed, but when ungrouped
it works

Sub test()
On Error GoTo errH

' fails
ActiveSheet.OptionButtons("Option Button 1").Value = xlOn
'' 1004 Unable to set the Value property of the OptionButton class

ActiveSheet.GroupObjects(1).Ungroup

' now it works
ActiveSheet.OptionButtons("Option Button 1").Value = xlOn

Exit Sub
errH:
Debug.Print Err.Number; Err.Description
Resume Next
End Sub

Maybe it's a version difference thing, this was with XL2000

Regards,
Peter T

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
They worked ok for me.

Are you sure you had option buttons and groupboxes with the matching

names?

Hi Dave,

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't think that the option buttons were grouped like that:
(Selecting a few, then rightclick|grouping|Group)

I'm gonna guess that they were grouped by putting a groupbox around the
optionbuttons (or putting the optionbuttons within a groupbox).

The groupbox is also on the Forms toolbar.

But I've been wrong before.

Peter T wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The option button is from the Forms menu and is grouped to a label
using rightclick/grouping/group.

The routine I showed, does find the "Group 498" but not the option
button in it. It's as though the "Group 498" is now the option button,
but you cannot change the value.

Hope this makes sense and thank you for your continued help. This is
doing my head in.

Peter T wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don't group your option buttons via rightclick|grouping|group.

Group them by putting a groupbox from the Forms toolbar around the ones that
should be grouped.

Peter T wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I suppose surrounding with a groupbox vs group'ing (groupobject) would
depend on the OP's overall objective. If to allow different 'sets' of option
buttons whereby one OB in each set can be 'On' then a groupbox indeed makes
that possible. But that's not the same as group'ing shapes and OB's which
does nothing to change their mutual exclusivity. Could of course also
'group' a groupbox of OB's (and labels) but back to the OP's original
problem.

Must admit I don't know why it's not possible to change the value property
of a grouped Forms OB. Most properties of a Groupobject's groupitems can be
individually changed without un-grouping.

Peter T wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure I understand this portion:

But that's not the same as group'ing shapes and OB's which
does nothing to change their mutual exclusivity.

when it concerns optionbuttons from the Forms toolbar that have been grouped
using a groupbox from that same Forms toolbar.

Each group of optionbuttons within that groupbox is separate and distinct from
the other optionbuttons in different groupboxes--and only one of the
optionbuttons within that groupbox can be selected at one time.

===
And to be more honest, I've never seen anyone try to group controls like
optionbuttons via the grouping of shapes. That seems a little weird to me.

Peter T wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure I understand this portion:

But that's not the same as group'ing shapes and OB's which
does nothing to change their mutual exclusivity.

Sorry to confuse! eminates from the different meanings of the term 'group'
particularly with Option Buttons

a) Group shapes: select multiple shapes, right-click and select 'Group'. The
multiple shapes, which may include Option Buttons, become a single shape, in
VBA terms a GroupObject

b) Group with a Group-box: from the Forms toolbar select the 'Group Box'
icon and 'draw' it around Option Buttons. This 'set' is not related to other
OB's in the sense in one of the OB's can be On even if another elsewhere is
also On.

Back to what I meant - group type a) does nothing to change the mutual
exclusivity of Option Buttons, whether or not they are in a Group type b).

Is that more or less confusing <g

And to be more honest, I've never seen anyone try to group controls like
optionbuttons via the grouping of shapes. That seems a little weird to
me.

I never have but I do Group type a) other Controls, and can see the reason
for the OP wanting to group type a) with a label or textbox.

Peter T wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I understood the difference between the two different grouping methods.

I just didn't understand what you were saying. I do now.

And even though I've never done it or seen it, I guess there may be a reason to
"shape-group" these type controls--but I'm never gonna do it! <vbg

Peter T wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

wrote:

[...]

Grouped Items won't Stay Grouped When Moving Object Heather02 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 February 12th 09 07:08 PM
keep source formatting is not an option in paste option button Tina Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 February 20th 06 09:58 PM
Option Button smcs Excel Programming 3 January 16th 06 12:00 PM
Option button Jennifer Excel Programming 3 April 15th 05 10:28 PM
Option Button Value ExcelMonkey[_190_] Excel Programming 1 February 20th 05 12:48 AM