Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA vs VB.net

I been programming in VBA excel for some time now and although I have not
perfected it, I gotten good enough to exploit much of it.

I have VB.net and am thinking of concentrating on learning that since it
seems so much more powerful them VBA.

My programming does revolve around excel and other office apps.
Should I stick with VBA or move on?
Can I do everything in NET that I can do in VBA and more?

Would I have full access to the excel app and its objects?
Outlook app?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, automation/interrop should give you access to the whole Excel Object;
but you might find vb.net 'harder' without the benefit of the Excel macro
recorder that does give you a good starting point for VBA.

Why not be bold and use VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office)?

"Wired Hosting News" wrote:

I been programming in VBA excel for some time now and although I have not
perfected it, I gotten good enough to exploit much of it.

I have VB.net and am thinking of concentrating on learning that since it
seems so much more powerful them VBA.

My programming does revolve around excel and other office apps.
Should I stick with VBA or move on?
Can I do everything in NET that I can do in VBA and more?

Would I have full access to the excel app and its objects?
Outlook app?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your help.

I am not familiar with Visual Studio Tools.

On the note of using macros, I really don't utilize running macros anymore.
I found they are inefficient and usually need rewirting anyway.
I am looking to create more of a stand alone package, but still utilize
excel for spreadsheets and possibly part of the interface. I really like
the idea of being able to use dll's and writing to binary file, like writing
a class instance to disk. With VBA I have to write the class instance back
to a spreadsheet and save... no?

Am I On / Off track?

Also

John