Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default InStr Function

Hello All,
Hopefully someone can help me as I have been struggling with this last bit
of code.
I am attempting to loop through an advanced filter field and on select
certain cells that meet 2 additional criteria

I have no problem doing this with one criteria but cannot figure out the
second part.

If my advanced filter comes out with the following:

S0001
S0002
S0003
ABC
123
N0001
N0002

I want to loop through this list and select only those cells that start with
an "S" or an "N"... I am doing the code in a word document referencing
Excel..what the code is supposed to do is take cell value and add .doc to
the end and then insert that file into one word document.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

For icount = 1 To 7

wording = xlObj.Worksheets("sheet1").Range("A" & icount).Value
If wording = "" Then
'do nothing

' A textual comparison starting at position
ElseIf InStr(1, wording, "s") = False Then -----this is where I need help (I
think)
'do nothing

Else
Selection.InsertBreak Type:=wdPageBreak
Selection.InsertFile FileName:=baseDir & wording, Range:="",
ConfirmConversions:= _
False, Link:=False, Attachment:=False
End If

If icount = 6 Then
Exit For
End If
Next icount

Thanks so much for any comments.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you are specifically looking for data that starts with S or N

s1 = lcase(Left(wording,1))
if s1 = "s" or s1 = "n") then

End if

If you want to stick with Instr, then

if instr(1,wording,"s",vbTextCompare) = 1 then

End if

I don't see the point of checking for emtpy and then not "s"

Tom Ogilvy