Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Running a non-microsoft app

I'm new at this so please bear with me. I'm trying to run a non-microsoft
application using the vb in excel 2003. I can do it using the sendkeys
method but I need a better way. I can't get DDEInitiate to work with the
other application. Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Look at the Shell Command.

If you mean you want to interact with it, the possible choices are

DDE
Automation
Sendkeys

Unless it provides its own custom API.

If it doesn't support any one or more of those, they are not options that
will be available.

Tom Ogilvy

"hoser78" wrote:

I'm new at this so please bear with me. I'm trying to run a non-microsoft
application using the vb in excel 2003. I can do it using the sendkeys
method but I need a better way. I can't get DDEInitiate to work with the
other application. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you may want the Shell command

here is an example:
' Specifying 1 as the second argument opens the application in
' normal size and gives it the focus.
Dim RetVal
RetVal = Shell("C:\WINDOWS\CALC.EXE", 1) ' Run Calculator.

hope this helps