Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default this is weird

I am using simple rank formula to rank one list. So I copy this formula
=RANK(F2,$F$2:$F$123) in first cell and then double click on fill
handle to fill this formula in my whole list. But I get exact same rank
in all cells. If I click inside each cell (in the formula bar) and then
hit enter then formula seem to give the right rank instead of same
rank....but I will have to do that in all the cells to get correct
ranking....anybody has any idea why this is happening??

Thanks, Jay

--
sa02000
sa02000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27747

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As a guess your calculation mode is set to manual. Change it to automatic.
Tools - Options - Calaculation Tab
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"sa02000" wrote:

I am using simple rank formula to rank one list. So I copy this formula
=RANK(F2,$F$2:$F$123) in first cell and then double click on fill
handle to fill this formula in my whole list. But I get exact same rank
in all cells. If I click inside each cell (in the formula bar) and then
hit enter then formula seem to give the right rank instead of same
rank....but I will have to do that in all the cells to get correct
ranking....anybody has any idea why this is happening??

Thanks, Jay

--
sa02000
sa02000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27747
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=533890

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It sounds like calculation is set to manual. Go to the Tools
menu, choose Options, then the Calculation tab. There, ensure
that Calculation is set to Automatic.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"sa02000"
wrote in message

I am using simple rank formula to rank one list. So I copy this
formula
=RANK(F2,$F$2:$F$123) in first cell and then double click on
fill
handle to fill this formula in my whole list. But I get exact
same rank
in all cells. If I click inside each cell (in the formula bar)
and then
hit enter then formula seem to give the right rank instead of
same
rank....but I will have to do that in all the cells to get
correct
ranking....anybody has any idea why this is happening??

Thanks, Jay

--
sa02000
sa02000's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
You may need to set calculation to automatic - it appears that it is
currently on manual which won't refresh the formula results.

Andrew B

sa02000 wrote:
I am using simple rank formula to rank one list. So I copy this formula
=RANK(F2,$F$2:$F$123) in first cell and then double click on fill
handle to fill this formula in my whole list. But I get exact same rank
in all cells. If I click inside each cell (in the formula bar) and then
hit enter then formula seem to give the right rank instead of same
rank....but I will have to do that in all the cells to get correct
ranking....anybody has any idea why this is happening??

Thanks, Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you all for replying. I was running a macro and turning the
calculation off to make the macro go faster.

Jay

--
sa02000
sa02000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27747
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=533890

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Make gosh darn sure that you use an errorhandler with any macro that toggles
the application settings...

sub Test
on error goto errorhandler
application.calculation = xlManual
'Your Code Here
Errorhandler:
application.calculation = xlAutomatic
end sub

That of course won't help you if you halt your code while debugging... Then
you just have to remember to turn it back on.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"sa02000" wrote:

Thank you all for replying. I was running a macro and turning the
calculation off to make the macro go faster.

Jay

--
sa02000
sa02000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27747
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=533890

Is this weird or what? Finance Guru Excel Worksheet Functions 8 August 15th 08 07:24 PM
This one is WEIRD! schoujar[_12_] Excel Programming 2 September 16th 05 01:43 PM
Weird jhill New Users to Excel 1 August 10th 05 04:48 PM
This seems weird to me Ken McLennan[_3_] Excel Programming 6 October 29th 04 02:11 PM
weird LiSa Excel Programming 2 June 10th 04 09:37 AM