Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default With Analysis TookPak activated, Workbook_Open Event Not working at all

Excel 2002, SP3 (10.6501.6735)
W2KPro, SP4 (Build 2195)

We have a template that we use across the organization, which is quite
crucial in our business process. I have always had the Analysis TookPak
(both the normal one and the VBA one) activated when I open Excel as I use
certain functions in it extensively. In the current version and prior
versions, I have not had any problems with the Workbook_Open Event. In the
new version that I have updated, but is not currently in use, we have ran
into this technical issue.

When either one of the 2 Analysis TookPaks are activated, the Workbook_Open
event doesn't run when the workbook is opened. However, if the workbook
isn't opened via a macro, but rather by some other means, the "Auto_Open"
sub within a module window will run.

Here's the technical differences we found

Workbook_Open Event under normal circumstances runs regardless of how it was
opened.

Auto_Open sub under normal circumstances runs unless the file is opened via
a macro and the macro doesn't call on the Auto_Open sub. However, this call
on the sub would have to be indirect cause in order for the sub to work, it
has to be set to "Private", which means the sub can't be seen by the code
outside of the module that it's in.

Prior to the new version, we actually had created 2 different versions as we
spun one version from the other version. Since that time, I had renamed the
checkboxes within the original version, as there's plans on using those
checkboxes via code for tracking purposes, but this was not done within the
second version as it has another worksheet added to it that started out
being for a particular customer. Note, the checkboxes can be reached via
the Worksheet's Shapes Collection when done by code.

What I had done, so hopefully to save on time, I removed the original
worksheet from the spun off copy, and then copied the worksheet from the
original file that has the checkboxes, so as I wouldn't have to go through
the process of renaming all of those check boxes again. All I had to do was
to use the Replace All feature to re-establish the formulas on the other
worksheets that was getting it's source from the worksheet that was on the
worksheet that was deleted and then copied into.

Also, after the impacted workbook is opened, even the current version won't
run the Workbook_Open event until Excel is closed out and then reopenned for
as long as either of the 2 Analysis TookPaks are activated within the
"Add-in Manager". What needs to be done to rectify this issue of the
Workbook_Open event as I would hate to have to start from the current
version and redo all of those changes again, checking one by one to find the
culprit.

Sincerely,

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Production Statistician