Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default variable

Hi, Ive got 20 variables named xmean1, xmean2,
xmean3............xmean20. I want to refer to these with, For I = 1 TO
20. Ive tried, xmean(i), xmean & i and (xmean(i)). Any idea on how to
do this, or is this not possible.
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
I would think you need to place the xmean variables in an array i.e dim
xmean(1 to 20)

They can then be referenced in a loop with xmean(i), i being the loop
variable.

Don

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, Ive got 20 variables named xmean1, xmean2,
xmean3............xmean20. I want to refer to these with, For I = 1 TO
20. Ive tried, xmean(i), xmean & i and (xmean(i)). Any idea on how to
do this, or is this not possible.
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Create an array of variables

Dim xmean(1 to 20)

... load the array

For i = 1 To 20
Debug.Pring xmean(i)
Next i

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, Ive got 20 variables named xmean1, xmean2,
xmean3............xmean20. I want to refer to these with, For I = 1 TO
20. Ive tried, xmean(i), xmean & i and (xmean(i)). Any idea on how to
do this, or is this not possible.
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thankyou for your replys, this is perfect. Can I use the same for a
static variable. ie
Static xmean as integer. Thanks Again
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes you can but you need to size it in the declaration, and also Integer is
really redundant in 32 bit systems

Static xmean(1 To 20) As long

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thankyou for your replys, this is perfect. Can I use the same for a
static variable. ie
Static xmean as integer. Thanks Again
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, just realised another part to this. Ive been using Erase xmean1,
how do I use this with a loop, eg for i = 1 to 20 Erase(i) next i.
Triead this but didnt work
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert,

You do not need to loop. Try:

Erase xmean

---
Regards,
Norman

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry, just realised another part to this. Ive been using Erase xmean1,
how do I use this with a loop, eg for i = 1 to 20 Erase(i) next i.
Triead this but didnt work
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just use

Erase xmean

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry, just realised another part to this. Ive been using Erase xmean1,
how do I use this with a loop, eg for i = 1 to 20 Erase(i) next i.
Triead this but didnt work
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thankyou for that. So somple when you see it. Works fine. Can yo tell
me When I use redim preserve with varaible declared as Dim xmean(1 to
4) as varaint, how I structure the command. So far Ive got Redim
Preserve xmean(i) (1 to x), but I get an error. Thanks again
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert,

Try something like:

'=============
Public Sub Tester()
Dim i As Long
Dim xmean() As Variant

ReDim xmean(1 To 20)
For i = 1 To 20
xmean(i) = i * 10
Next i

For i = 1 To 20
Debug.Print xmean(i)
Next i
ReDim Preserve xmean(1 To 30)

End Sub
'<<=============

---
Regards,
Norman

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thankyou for that. So somple when you see it. Works fine. Can yo tell
me When I use redim preserve with varaible declared as Dim xmean(1 to
4) as varaint, how I structure the command. So far Ive got Redim
Preserve xmean(i) (1 to x), but I get an error. Thanks again
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks again for your reply, I think Ive confused things with my
original post. Originally I had 20 variables which the values changed
with each running of the macro, and dim xmean(1 to 20) was fine for
this, saved me writing xmean 20 times. Im using the static array a
little different and this is were Ive confused myself. Basically I
using worksheet change, so I had 5 static arrays difined, so with each
worksheet change it retains the original data and added the next value,
a bit like a counter really. So im looking for an easier way of haveing
x number of static variables without typing them. I think by writing
static xmean(1 to 4), Im not saying 4 different arrays, but
dimensioning a single array. Does that make sense. Im geusing I would
still need to list them seperatly as I dont know what the end size will
be.
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you mean

Dim xMean(1 To 20, 1 To 5) As Long

for instance

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thankyou for your reply. Possibly, if im looking at this in the correct
way. Would I use this as xmean1 would start at xmean(1,1), xmean2 at
xmean(1,2) upto 5. then new data would go at (2,1), (2,2). In which
case could I use redim preserve(1 to x, 1 to 5). And could I use this
as a static array. Am I close.
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hopefully it is all answered in the other post.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...