Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default can I set row/column label as variants?

size1 size2 size3
shoe1 22 24 26
shoe2 32 34 36
shoe3 42 44 46

Like above shoe pricing sheet, I want to set row and column labels a
variants and get the price directly the variants. As you may know, w
can get the price of size3 shoe2 price by =(size3 shoe3) in any cell
But if you let x=size3, y=shoe3, =(x y) doesn't work. Give me som
clues

--
lil
lily's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3315

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try:
=INDIRECT(x) INDIRECT(y)

(My first try was =INDIRECT(x&" "&y) , but this gives #VALUE! )

lily wrote:
size1 size2 size3
shoe1 22 24 26
shoe2 32 34 36
shoe3 42 44 46

Like above shoe pricing sheet, I want to set row and column labels as
variants and get the price directly the variants. As you may know, we
can get the price of size3 shoe2 price by =(size3 shoe3) in any cell.
But if you let x=size3, y=shoe3, =(x y) doesn't work. Give me some
clues.

--
lily
lily's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33150

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have try =indirect(B1) indirect(A2) in cell, for example, A7, but i
doesn't return to the value intersected by B1 and A2. Thanks for you
help

--
lil
lily's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3315
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52962

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK, in that case I don't know what you mean by
"let x=size3, y=shoe3". My answer assumes that
x and y are named ranges, each of 1 cell, containing
size3 and shoe3 (or whatever).

The formula
=indirect(B1) indirect(A2)
would mean the intersection of the range whose name
or address is in B1, and the range whose name or
address is in A1. So if B1 contains size3 and A2 contains
shoe3, you should get whatever's in the intersection of
those ranges.

If this doesnt help, maybe you could email me a copy
of your workbook so I can understand it better.

Andrew

lily wrote:
I have try =indirect(B1) indirect(A2) in cell, for example, A7, but it
doesn't return to the value intersected by B1 and A2. Thanks for your
help.