Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Personal.XLS

How do I make a macro in Personal .xls available on other worksheets without
having to open Personal.xls explicitly? I have a file that I get twice a day
that needs to undergo some modifications which are stored in a macro in
personal.xls. I open Excel by Dbl-Clicking my .xls file however, the macros
I have stored in Personal.xls are not visible or available.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Rafi,

Your Personal.xls is by default designed to open everytime you open an
instance of Excel. It will not open (again) if you open multiple instances
and won't be available in the subsequent instances. If you have a routine
in a standard module of your Personal.xls and it is not private (or the
module) then you should see it by hitting Alt + F8 from Excel.

Is this not the case? Are you sure you *have* a Personal.xls and is it in
your XLSTART folder?

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr
To email, remove NOSPAM

"Rafi" wrote in message
How do I make a macro in Personal .xls available on other worksheets
without
having to open Personal.xls explicitly? I have a file that I get twice a
day
that needs to undergo some modifications which are stored in a macro in
personal.xls. I open Excel by Dbl-Clicking my .xls file however, the
macros
I have stored in Personal.xls are not visible or available.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To use macros in a workbook, the workbook needs to be opened.

If you have the macro assigned to a button on a menu as an example, then
clicking the button will open the workbook with the macro (if the workbook
isn't already open) and run the macro.

Tom Ogilvy

"Rafi" wrote:

How do I make a macro in Personal .xls available on other worksheets without
having to open Personal.xls explicitly? I have a file that I get twice a day
that needs to undergo some modifications which are stored in a macro in
personal.xls. I open Excel by Dbl-Clicking my .xls file however, the macros
I have stored in Personal.xls are not visible or available.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rafi,

One option would be to turn your macro (procedure) into an Excel Add-in.
Once the add-in is installed, it would be available to all open workbooks.

www.exceltip.com has an excellent tutorial on how to make an add-in.

I wrote a brief article as well:
http://www.spreadsheetsolutions4u.co...cel_addin.html

Or try doing a Google search

Kevin Lehrbass

www.spreadsheetsolutions4u.com

"Rafi" wrote:

How do I make a macro in Personal .xls available on other worksheets without
having to open Personal.xls explicitly? I have a file that I get twice a day
that needs to undergo some modifications which are stored in a macro in
personal.xls. I open Excel by Dbl-Clicking my .xls file however, the macros
I have stored in Personal.xls are not visible or available.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Zack,
Are you sure about your statements below ?
In W2K at least, multiple instances of Excel still get Personal.xls, but
read-only, hence the dialog, if started from the menu.

NickHK