Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default keydown, arrow keys problem

I'm trying to use the keydown event to make the down arrow key change
the selected item in a listbox. The focus is in a texbox, and I've put
my code into the textbox_keydown event. The listbox selection is
changed, but then the focus is moved from the textbox to the next
control on the form. I don't want this... I want it to stay in the
textbox. How can I do this?

My event code is:

Private Sub NameBox_KeyDown(ByVal KeyCode As MSForms.ReturnInteger,
ByVal Shift As Integer)
If KeyCode = vbKeyDown Then
Application.EnableEvents = False
With NamesListBox
If .ListIndex < .ListCount - 1 Then
.ListIndex = .ListIndex + 1
End If
End With
Application.EnableEvents = True
Exit Sub

Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try at the end of your procedu

Me.SetFocus

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Doesn't the down arrow already move the selection down in any list box
if it is selected? You should only have to set the tab order of the
form how you want it. Then when the user tabs to the list box they can
use the down arrow. To select the highlighted selection in the list
box you can push the space bar. Thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kletcho wrote:
Doesn't the down arrow already move the selection down in any list box
if it is selected? You should only have to set the tab order of the
form how you want it. Then when the user tabs to the list box they can
use the down arrow. To select the highlighted selection in the list
box you can push the space bar. Thoughts?

You're right... the down arrow moves the selected row down (changes
ListIndex) in the listbox if the listbox is selected. But in my case,
the listbox isn't selected... a textbox is. And I want to leave the
textbox selected but have the down arrow change the ListItem property
for the listbox. The event handler I wrote for the textbox_keydown event
did that, but after the listbox was changed the focus moved from the
textbox to the next control on the form. I assume that what happened was
that after I processed the keycode, something in the system processed it
too, and moved the focus. By setting the keycode to 0 after I processed
it, the downstream handler apparently ignored it and I got the behavior
I wanted.

I can explain in more detail if you want it, but setting the keycode
seems to be the solution.

Thanks for the responses...