Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default reading and modifying file comments

I can access most of a files attributes and info using FSO commands but
this does not give me acces to the Comments properties.
Can anyone help? Ideally I want to be able to modify the Comments as
well.
My current code is listed below.

Dim FSO As Scripting.FileSystemObject
Dim SourceFolder As Scripting.Folder, SubFolder As Scripting.Folder
Dim FileItem As Scripting.File
Dim r As Long
Set FSO = New Scripting.FileSystemObject
Set SourceFolder = FSO.GetFolder(SourceFolderName)
r = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row + 1
For Each FileItem In SourceFolder.Files
Cells(r, 1).Formula = Left(FileItem.Path, Len(FileItem.Path) -
Len(FileItem.Name) - 1)
Cells(r, 2).Formula = FileItem.Name
Cells(r, 5).Formula = FileItem.Size
Cells(r, 6).Formula = FileItem.Type
Cells(r, 7).Formula = FileItem.DateCreated
Cells(r, 8).Formula = FileItem.DateLastAccessed
Cells(r, 9).Formula = FileItem.DateLastModified
Cells(r, 10).Formula = FileItem.Attributes
Cells(r, 11).Formula = FileItem.Comments ' Comments Doesn't
work
Cells(r, 12).Formula = FileItem.ShortPath & FileItem.ShortName
next FileItem

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you creating a VB script that runs outside of Excel or are you in
Excel running this procedure? If you are creating a VB script I would
create and Excel Object and then access the comments through that
object and go from there as you normally would if programming in VBA.

Dim xlApp
Dim xlBook
Dim strFileName

strFileName = "c:\MyFile.xls"
Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set xlBook = xlApp.WorkBooks.Open(filename)

Range("A1").Comments.Text = "Hello"

If you are programming in VBA and in excel then you can just skip the
first part and just use Range("A1").Comments.Text = "Hello".

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Comments I want are the ones visible when you right click a file in
explorer amd choose Properties.
Specifically they are comments that have been appended to .ZIP archives
and .7z archives.

I can do this for Excel and other office files using Chip Pearson's
guide but it doesn't work for non OLE files.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry I misunderstood. I don't think the FSO file object has that
property. I think you already have all the available properties in
your code.

I don't know how well it would translate to VBA, but here is a thought
through VB.net --
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...et07232002.asp