Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro shortcuts

All of my spreadsheets have similar Hide and Unhide macros. These handle
all the sheet hiding and protection. I gave the macros the shortcuts of
Ctrl-i and Ctrl-u. But if more than one spreadsheet is open, the shortcuts
don't work. Why is this? This annoys my users, as they all know and use
these shortcuts. Excel should know which is the active workbook. Is there
any way around this?

Don <www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don

may be that Ctrl-i and Ctrl-u are, by default, the shortcuts for making the
font italic and underlined respectively.

I don't know that is the reason but you're not doing anyone a favour by
using MS defaults as, no doubt, someone will want to use them.

Regards

Trevor

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
All of my spreadsheets have similar Hide and Unhide macros. These handle
all the sheet hiding and protection. I gave the macros the shortcuts of
Ctrl-i and Ctrl-u. But if more than one spreadsheet is open, the shortcuts
don't work. Why is this? This annoys my users, as they all know and use
these shortcuts. Excel should know which is the active workbook. Is there
any way around this?

Don <www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Trevor Shuttleworth wrote:

"Don Wiss" wrote:
All of my spreadsheets have similar Hide and Unhide macros. These handle
all the sheet hiding and protection. I gave the macros the shortcuts of
Ctrl-i and Ctrl-u. But if more than one spreadsheet is open, the shortcuts
don't work. Why is this? This annoys my users, as they all know and use
these shortcuts. Excel should know which is the active workbook. Is there
any way around this?

may be that Ctrl-i and Ctrl-u are, by default, the shortcuts for making the
font italic and underlined respectively.

Maybe, but there are few control keys that don't have another purpose.

I don't know that is the reason but you're not doing anyone a favour by
using MS defaults as, no doubt, someone will want to use them.

No one has tried to use these for years. That's not an issue. If I changed
them it would become an issue. We don't produce spreadsheets for external
use, so fancy formatting is rare. Especially the italics. I did pass on
using Ctrl-h for Hide, as I felt they may want that one (Find and Replace).

Don <www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).