Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Restrict Data Entry to only 4 possible entries

Hey folks,

Anyone know of a way to restrict data entry in a cell to one of onl
four total possibilities? More specifically, is there a non-vb
solution to restricting users from inputting anything into a cell wit
the exception of:
x X o O

These are lower and upper case of both the letters X and O (not Zer
the Number). The particular range (if it matters) that I need thi
restriction in place is D4:F6.

If you'll notice, the range is a 3x3 square. The charactors in tha
3x3 square have to be either an X or an O (case irrelevent). Yup, yo
know what that means. TicTacToe :)

--
ph
ph8's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1987

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

select D4:F6
do data=Validation

select LIST

enter
X,x,O,o

(no double quotes)

Uncheck "incell dropdown" if you don't want the dropdown arrow to appear.

Tom Ogilvy

"ph8" wrote:

Hey folks,

Anyone know of a way to restrict data entry in a cell to one of only
four total possibilities? More specifically, is there a non-vba
solution to restricting users from inputting anything into a cell with
the exception of:
x X o O

These are lower and upper case of both the letters X and O (not Zero
the Number). The particular range (if it matters) that I need this
restriction in place is D4:F6.

If you'll notice, the range is a 3x3 square. The charactors in that
3x3 square have to be either an X or an O (case irrelevent). Yup, you
know what that means. TicTacToe :).

--
ph8
ph8's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19871
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524790

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the quick response!

Unfortunatly though that wasn't exactly what I had in mind. That rout
would display an error message when something other than X/O wer
displayed, but would still leave the incorrect data in the cell. Plus
I was hoping to avoid having the pop up message, as that could probabl
get annoying