Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Getting Workgroup ID??

Our company has various offices, and i am trying to define which server
the user is on.

eg at login
thecompany.Edinburgh.tree
thecompany.Glasgow.tree

I have no idea of how to find the server via excel however.

Rightclicking on "my computer" and going to the "computer name" tab,
allows me to see the Full computer name and the workgroup. (The
workgroup being "EDINBURGH")

I came across this macro in my searching and it has the UserDomain
which is the same as the "computer name"

Sub env()
Dim EnvString As String
Indx = 1
Do
EnvString = Environ(Indx)
Cells(Indx, 1) = EnvString
Indx = Indx + 1
Loop Until EnvString = ""
End Sub

So i was wondering if there was any way to get the workgroup.

I also tried getting the server via the groupwise library, but failed
miserably. I thought if i could get the current users
DistinguishedName (NDS) or Groupwise email address as opposed to the
normal email address, i could parse out the extra data.

If anyone can advise on how this might be achieved i shall be extremely
grateful.

regards
George

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi George,

Would application.networktemplatespath
be of any help ?

Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi George,

Would application.networktemplatespath
be of any help ?

Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, try this:

Private Declare Function GetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" _
Alias "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) _
As Long
Sub User_Name()
Dim Buffer As String * 100
Dim BuffLen As Long
BuffLen = 100
GetUserName Buffer, BuffLen
UserName = Left(Buffer, BuffLen - 1)
MsgBox UserName
End Sub

It should give you the workgroupe name.

" napĂ*sal (napĂ*sala):

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi guys

Unfortunately Application.NetworkTemplatesPath gives the drive on the
server where the templates are K:
It does not tell me what server this is on.

Henrich, this gives me the username not the workgroup name
So i am getting the login intitals instead of Edinburgh

Thanks for looking at this. Any other ideas?

Henrich wrote:
Hi, try this:

Private Declare Function GetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" _
Alias "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) _
As Long
Sub User_Name()
Dim Buffer As String * 100
Dim BuffLen As Long