Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default E-Signature by username

I have a spreadsheet application that we use in our office to produce
construction Bids. Our estimators currently insert an electronic
signature (scanned image of signature) into the Bid worksheet manually
(Insert -Picture- From File-). I am trying find out how to automate
the process with the use of a button/macro. If, user1 is working in the
worksheet and presses the button it will grab the user1 signature file
from the server and insert it into the sheet. Any ideas?

Thanks

--
maximus73
maximus73's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25877

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

With a macro
Sub Macro1()
ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert("D:\My Documents\My Pictures.gif").Select
End Sub

HTH
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

problem is they all access the same workbook to begin with. the pull of
the signature needs to be tied to a username. Like :

Sub Macro1()
ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert("D:\FileServer\current _user.gif").Select

maximus73
maximus73's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25877
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522752

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If current_user is a variable which is captured at an earlier stage, it
is OK ...
otherwise, you will have to ask for it with an inputbox ...

HTH
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

i need help with the code for the macr

--
maximus7
maximus73's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2587

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dim strSignaturePath as String
Dim x as Single
Dim y as Single

'These are the coordinates for where the signature needs to go,
'in points. The values will be different for you application.
x = 285.6
y = 285.6

Select Case Application.UserName
Case "EstimatorA"
str = "c:\signaturefolder\signatureA.gif"
Case "EstimatorB"
str = "c:\signaturefolder\signatureB.gif"
Case "EstimatorC"
str = "c:\signaturefolder\signatureC.gif"

'... ad nauseum

End Select

ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert(strSignaturePath).Sele ct
With Selection.ShapeRange
.IncrementLeft x
.IncrementTop y
End With

"maximus73" wrote:

problem is they all access the same workbook to begin with. the pull of
the signature needs to be tied to a username. Like :

Sub Macro1()
ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert("D:\FileServer\current _user.gif").Select

maximus73
maximus73's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25877
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522752

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the help. I think we are almost there. When I run the cod
I am getting:

Runtime error '1004':

Unable to get the Insert property of the Pictures class

??

--
maximus7
maximus73's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2587
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52275

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

why does the Insert work if i put in a complete path? if i use
variable for the path it doesn't

--
maximus7
maximus73's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2587
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52275

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS GS is offline

Hi maximus73,

If you're referring to Eric's code regarding the variables, the declared
variable is:
strSignaturePath

the "loaded" variable used is:

str="..."

the passed variabled is the same as the declared one, so make some changes
here and it should work as posted.

HTH
Regards,
GS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Did you consider the path separator (e.g., \)? There is a property that
is system dependent if that's important. Use
"Application.PathSeparator" (without the quotes) to return the path
separator. Anyway, compare the two paths--the one typed in and the one
using the variable.

BTW, you might consider using the Environ function to return the user
name.
for example:
Function GetUserName() As String
GetUserName = Environ("Username")
End Function

Art

maximus73 wrote:
why does the Insert work if i put in a complete path? if i use a
variable for the path it doesn't.

--
maximus73
maximus73's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25877
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522752

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The code is working properly. It comes down to which the Case
"username" for some reason the username is either "username" or
"uname". I created two case statements for each user.

How can I find out what username is being pulled by Excel? I am not
sure how or where to place the username code that you provided.

Thanks

--
maximus73
maximus73's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25877
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522752

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS GS is offline

Hi maximus73,

Application.UserName

is a read/write property that contains what's been entered in the "User
name:" box on the ToolsOptions...General tab (last item).

It might be more practical to just have your users "Insert" their own
signatures because to do this how you want requires modifying your code to
include each user's .UserName. (..just a suggestion!)

Eric's code is constructed properly and will work as long as you replace his
"example usernames" with "actual usernames" for each 'Case Is' line. Include
lines for each user.

HTH
Regards,
GS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Application.UserName returns what the user entered in Word's User
Information tab (Tools- Options- User Information tab- Name).
Environ("Username") returns the value of an operating system
environment variable. I have Windows XP. Could be that different OSs
use different names for similar information (e.g., username versus
uname).

You could replace Application.UserName in your sample posted code with
Environ("Username"). It's your choice. One thing to consider is the
user may easily change Application.UserName, which could result in
breaking your code. Whereas, the OS user name (i.e., the login name)
usually needs an administrator to change. In any event, it might be a
good idea to have a default case for when the code does not find a
match.

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS GS is offline

Art raises a good point! -A much better alternative!

In the case of the username, the code, as written, needs to be maintained if
changes occur with users.

In the case of my suggestion to have users "Insert..." their own signature,
it leaves room for error & foul play.

IMO I'd prefer Art's suggestion!

Regards,
GS

userName Ronbo Excel Programming 6 September 26th 05 03:19 PM
NT Username ceemo Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 August 2nd 05 04:39 PM
Username Alvin Hansen[_2_] Excel Programming 3 September 25th 04 10:36 PM
username libby Excel Programming 8 April 25th 04 03:37 AM
Get NT Username Steven Pugh Excel Programming 7 February 20th 04 09:37 AM