Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Acting on Real time data feed

I have a spreadsheet that pulls in some real time data. I would like an
Alert Box to pup up if the RTD value exceeds a threshold. I need to do
it without a macro, as the RTD are stock prices, so the data would be
fast and continous. Any ideas? TIA
Paul

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24850

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you want to explore a cutting edge solutiion using VSTO, have a look into

MS.Net Development for MS Office by Andrew WhiteChapel

I seem to remember an example along the lines of your requirements.

"Paul987" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that pulls in some real time data. I would like an
Alert Box to pup up if the RTD value exceeds a threshold. I need to do
it without a macro, as the RTD are stock prices, so the data would be
fast and continous. Any ideas? TIA
Paul

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24850
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=521129

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe you can write a VBA wrapper function that has the RTD call inside
it, which you can pass to a variable for tolerance checks. This wrapper
function then would be called in the cell reference as opposed to the RTD
formula you would normally use.

Dont know if this would be too much of a performance impact and how the
subscription engine would handle the connection of a topic within a function.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the responses, but I'm loking for a little more specific
advice. I got kind of lost at the "VBA wrapper function." Has anyone
run into this problem before?

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24850
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=521129

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I stole this from a website out there as an example of what they say you can
do with a wrapper function:

RTD function:
=RTD(RealTimeServerProgID,MachineNameWhereServerRu ns,Topic1,[Topic2],€¦)

Wrapper function:
=GetMyData(MSFT,LAST)

function GetMyData(mySymbol,myField) as variant
'PUT YOUR TEST HERE
GetMyData =application.worksheet
function.RTD(€śmyDLLName.myClassModuleName,myMach ineName,mySymbol,myField)
End function

Regards