Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Recovering from corrupted file -- New #NAME? Error problem

I have a medium sized XL worksheet, ~1.3 MB, 13 worksheets, a few VBA
subroutines and some UDFs. Lots of custom formatting all over. Mac PowerBook
G4, OSX 103.9.

I was getting really flaky compiler behavior yesterday where it wouldn't
recognize "End Function" which plainly existed at the end of the function.
If I commented out the problem function, the problem moved up to the
preceding sub or function.

So today, I threw out my Excel preferences files, ran disk utilities to
repair permissions, and then saved the offending version of the file in XML
format. I then closed and opened the XML format (now without any macros left
in it) and saved as Excel format.

Things were looking pretty good. All my formatting was retained as were all
my saved Names.

But, of course this is not an ideal world, so there had to be a problem. It
turns out that about half of the cells on my worksheets that use a name to
refer to another cell or to a named value presents the "#NAME?" error. If I
select in the cell and then move to the next cell, the problem doesn't get
fixed. If I copy the errored cell to another blank cell, I still have the
error.

BUT, if I type the formula from scratch in a new region of the worksheet,
the name returns a value (i.e., it works).

All these names worked fine on the previous "corrupted" version of the
worksheet.

Anybody seen this before?

Steve