Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Look up and return multiple columns

Is there a function to look up and return multiple columns similar to
the vlookup which returns just one column.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Where will you store the n columns returned?

--
AP

a écrit dans le message de
ups.com...
Is there a function to look up and return multiple columns similar to
the vlookup which returns just one column.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Array enter (enter using Ctrl-Shift-Enter) a formula like this into a cell in column A:

=SMALL(IF(3:3="Test",COLUMN(3:3)),COLUMN())

and copy to the right. This will return the column numbers that contain "Test" in row 3.

You can hide the errors by using

=IF(ISERROR(...),"",...)

where ... is the formula above.

If you want to find other values, then you can use this array formula

=INDEX(4:4,SMALL(IF(3:3="Test",COLUMN(3:3)),COLUMN ()))

which will return the values from row 4 when row 3 = "Test"

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

wrote in message ups.com...
Is there a function to look up and return multiple columns similar to
the vlookup which returns just one column.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've re-thought your post, and I think you may simply want to use something like

=VLOOKUP(WhatToFind,$A$1:$H$100,COLUMN(B1),False)

and copy that to the right for as many 'columns' as you want to return.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

wrote in message ups.com...
Is there a function to look up and return multiple columns similar to
the vlookup which returns just one column.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This will do it

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bernie,

I have been looking for an Excel fn to look in the first column of a
table and return the following column entries when it finds a match.
Unforunately my table has duplicate entries in column 1 and vlookup
will only return one row. For example, I want to get out all the rows
with "Ben" in the first column and paste them to a new worksheet.

Can you pls pls steer me in the right direction? Im doing my head in :(

Cheers in Advance I hope

BEn

wrote in message ups.com...
Is there a function to look up and return multiple columns similar to
the vlookup which returns just one column.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I suggest DataFilterAdvanced filter

HTH
--
AP

oups.com...

Bernie Deitrick wrote:

Array enter (enter using Ctrl-Shift-Enter) a formula like this into a

cell in column A:

=SMALL(IF(3:3="Test",COLUMN(3:3)),COLUMN())

and copy to the right. This will return the column numbers that contain

"Test" in row 3.

You can hide the errors by using

=IF(ISERROR(...),"",...)

where ... is the formula above.

If you want to find other values, then you can use this array formula

=INDEX(4:4,SMALL(IF(3:3="Test",COLUMN(3:3)),COLUMN ()))

which will return the values from row 4 when row 3 = "Test"

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

ups.com...