Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
XP XP is offline

Default What is FSDDE and how do I use it?

A user receives an Excel file from a vendor on a monthly basis and this file
contains a formula that is essentially a link, I think, to the internet and
it returns a value. I have never seen this technology before.

The file has no macros in it and my computer has no special software for use
with this file. Also, there are no add-ins or companion files with it. But it
works on my computer just as it does on this other user's computer.

I could really use something like this for a variety of purposes. The
formula takes the following general format: =FSDDE|Quote!'abc:ung5![Name
Here].Item'

Can someone please explain what is being used to make this link and where I
can find documentation on it???

FYI, I am attempting to automate a number of complex calculations based on
this user's spreadsheet and it would really help if I understood what is
being used to generate the source values.

Thanks much in advance for your assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The syntax you describe is a dde link. Search your local hard drive for an
executable called fsdde.exe. That will be what the equation links to.

Have a look at MSDN for information on DDE. Refer to the vendor
documentation (is it FactSet?)

--
www.alignment-systems.com