Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Fast Data Processing

I need a new pc or laptop and would appreciate help to find a machine
which will run my excel VBA data processing macros as fast as possible
If you are up for the challenge, contact me at and
will forward my 1.4MB excel benchmark test file for you to run an
respond.
Thanks
Astriko

--
astriko
astrikor's Profile:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Most folks are very helpful on this forum, but I doubt you'll get any takers
to download your vba code and run it; it's not very sensible for security
reasons - how would they know what your code does?

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"astrikor" wrote:

I need a new pc or laptop and would appreciate help to find a machine
which will run my excel VBA data processing macros as fast as possible.
If you are up for the challenge, contact me at and I
will forward my 1.4MB excel benchmark test file for you to run and
respond.
Thanks
Astrikor

--
astrikor
astrikor's Profile:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"astrikor" wrote:

I need a new pc or laptop and would appreciate help to find a

machine
which will run my excel VBA data processing macros as fast as

possible.
If you are up for the challenge, contact me at and

will forward my 1.4MB excel benchmark test file for you to run and
respond.
Thanks
Astrikor

--
astrikor

astrikor's Profile:

View this thread:

Thanks John, I appreciate the comment. Maybe it would help to explain
what my test macro does.

It is a self-contained file in which the macro first asks the user if
they wish to continue. The file contains all the data and code needed
to calculate the runtime. It finishes by requesting the user to email
me the result.

The macro takes one of a sequence of data strings from one worksheet,
pastes it to a second worksheet where the string is processed by
predictive algorithms and cell formulae, the results of which are
logged into a third worksheet. The macro then returns to the first
sheet to collect the next data string.There are hundreds of data
strings, each containing hundreds of data points. It is intensive data
manipulation.

With a target runtime of 10 seconds, anything better will be great.

Regarding security, the file has a Digital Self-Certificate.

Astrikor

--
astrikor
astrikor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31465

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wow - a digital self certificate - oh well that's fine then, I'll just run
this vba code on my machine safe in the knowledge that you certify that you
wrote the code.

If you do want people to run this, you should post the vba code and some
sample data in a csv file. You can ignore me, and the sarcasm, but you're
being a bit naive or uninformed if you think self-signing will make any
difference to security.

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"astrikor" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

While your sarcasm is understandable, it is not very helpful. The code
is confidential. However, the file has been virus scanned before being
signed off with the digital self-certificate. This is to protect the
code from any further contamination.
Astrikor

--
astrikor
astrikor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31465
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=519285

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

At 12 secs, the fastest pc is my still my own Athlon 1.4Ghz, 256ddrRAM,
XPPro, XL2000.
This is closely followed at 13 secs by Matthew's Athlon64 3500
(2.21Ghz), 1024RAM, XP Home, XL2003.
As expected, at the other extreme, at 58 secs is Ed's Apple Mac Min
1.42Ghz 1024RAM, Mc XL2004.

The best laptop so far at 21 secs is Richard's Toshiba Sattellite 1110,
Celeron 1.5Ghz, 256RAM, XPHome (sp2), XL2000

The 10 secs target is beginning to look difficult.

Astrikor

--
astrikor
astrikor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31465
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=519285

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

astrikor Wrote:
At 12 secs, the fastest pc is my still my own Athlon 1.4Ghz, 256ddrRAM
XPPro, XL2000.
This is closely followed at 13 secs by Matthew's Athlon64 350
(2.21Ghz), 1024RAM, XP Home, XL2003.
As expected, at the other extreme, at 58 secs is Ed's Apple Mac Mi
1.42Ghz 1024RAM, Mc XL2004.

The best laptop so far at 21 secs is Richard's Toshiba Sattellite 1110
Celeron 1.5Ghz, 256RAM, XPHome (sp2), XL2000

The 10 secs target is beginning to look difficult.

Astrikor

That's very interesting.
How do you account for your 1.4gig/256 Athlon being faster than th
2.21gig/1024? I also notice you don't report the graphics cards i
these pcs, as your vba switches between worksheets wouldn't you expec
graphics to be influencial in runtimes?
Exdevo

--
Exdevo
Exdevon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3210

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Exdevon Wrote:
That's very interesting.
How do you account for your 1.4gig/256 Athlon being faster than the
2.21gig/1024? I also notice you don't report the graphics cards in
these pcs, as your vba switches between worksheets wouldn't you expect
graphics to be influencial in runtimes?
Exdevon

I can't - that's the problem, and that's why I am running this thread.
If I knew the factors determining processing speed I could go and buy a
pc/laptop to the right specification. Does anyone have any ideas?

VBA application.screenupdating = false allows sheets to be switched
during processing without being sent to the display processor, so
graphics performance is not relevant.
Astrikor

--
astrikor
astrikor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31465
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=519285

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Astrikor
I am also looking to solve this one, I need a fast notebook to run
macros.
Have you had any inputs from Pentium M or Athlon XP-M based systems?
Thanks
CT

--
Clive Trapmore
Clive Trapmore's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32257

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Clive Trapmore Wrote:
Hi Astrikor
I am also looking to solve this one, I need a fast notebook to run
macros.
Have you had any inputs from Pentium M or Athlon XP-M based systems?
Thanks
CT

No, no inputs from those yet, but if anyone has one they could help out
by requesting the benchmark file from me at

Thanks
Astrikor