Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default formula help to get oldest date in column based off another parameter

Hello,

I am trying to retrieve the oldest date in an array of data if it
matches a value in another column.
For example, there are 4 column headings like this:
A1: State B1: City C1: Count D1: Date
A2: WA B2: Sea C2: 1 D2: 1/5/2006
A3: WA B3: Sea C3: 2 D3: 1/5/2006
A4: WA B4: Sea C4: 3 D4: 2/5/2006
A5: B5: Total C5: 6 D5:
A6: State B6: City C6: Count D6: Date
A7: WA B7: SPK C7: 2 D7: 12/5/2005
A8: B8: Total C8: 2 D8:
A9: CA B9: LA C9: 10 D9: 2/15/2006
A10: B10:Total C10: 10 D10:
A11 CA: B11:SA C11: 1 D11: 1/15/06
A12:CA B12: SA C12: 2 D12: 2/10/2006
A13: B13:Total C13: 3 D13:

There also is other data that is not relavent to this. Anyways, I am
trying to set up a formula to determine the oldest
date based off of column A (State). In addition, there are blank cells
between some of the data in each of the columns
which need to be in the formula (Column A & D). The blank cells also
seem to be giving me some problems. Here is the formula
I currently have, which retrieves an invalid date is:
=MIN((sheet1!$A$2:$A$500=Graph!G1)*(sheet1!$D$2:$D $500))

Note: Graph!G1 has a value of a state (column A)

IN addition, I am trying to get the oldest date for all values in
column D (All Dates).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

--