Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to add a row

Hey all...

I have a simple question... hoping someone might know the answer.

I need to insert a row after every unique cell (the column is sorted)
in a specific column.

The data starts in B4 and goes down an undetermined amount of rows
(data is always being added / deleted)... all I want to do is to add a
row after every 'group' in that column B.

I've tried Loops combined with If statements with no luck...

Thanks! :)

--
NeedsExcelHelp4
NeedsExcelHelp4's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31898

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

NeedsExcelHelp4, here is one way,

Sub Insert_Row_In_ColumnB()
'insert 1 rows in column B, when data changes
Dim Number_of_rows As Long
Dim Rowinsert As Integer
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Number_of_rows = Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row
Rowinsert = 1
Range("B2").Select
Do Until Selection.Row = Number_of_rows + 1
If Selection.Value < Selection.Offset(-1, 0).Value Then
Selection.EntireRow.Resize(Rowinsert).Insert
Number_of_rows = Number_of_rows + Rowinsert
Selection.Offset(Rowinsert + 1, 0).Select
Else
Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select
End If
Loop
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"NeedsExcelHelp4"
<NeedsExcelHelp4.23y5yp_1141143018.6369@excelfor um-nospam.com wrote in
message news:NeedsExcelHelp4.23y5yp_1141143018.6369@excelf orum-nospam.com...

Hey all...

I have a simple question... hoping someone might know the answer.

I need to insert a row after every unique cell (the column is sorted)
in a specific column.

The data starts in B4 and goes down an undetermined amount of rows
(data is always being added / deleted)... all I want to do is to add a
row after every 'group' in that column B.

I've tried Loops combined with If statements with no luck...

Thanks! :)

--
NeedsExcelHelp4
NeedsExcelHelp4's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517358

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hey Paul... thanks for taking the time to look at my question.

I'm getting an error at line:
If Selection.Value < Selection.Offset(-1, 0).Value Then

since I'm very new with VBA, I can't figure out the reason for th
error.

Did I have to change something in your code? I just copied and paste
your code into the module...

Thanks again

--
NeedsExcelHelp
NeedsExcelHelp4's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3189

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Since you wanted to start in B4, did you change

Range("B2").Select
Range("B5").Select

did that help?

if not

What is the error? Is it a type mismatch error?

Do you have any error values in your cells in column B?

Are you using xl97?

Where is the selection when you get the error

Tom Ogilvy

"NeedsExcelHelp4"
<NeedsExcelHelp4.23y7co_1141144804.0296@excelfor um-nospam.com wrote in
message news:NeedsExcelHelp4.23y7co_1141144804.0296@excelf orum-nospam.com...

Hey Paul... thanks for taking the time to look at my question.

I'm getting an error at line:
If Selection.Value < Selection.Offset(-1, 0).Value Then

since I'm very new with VBA, I can't figure out the reason for the
error.

Did I have to change something in your code? I just copied and pasted
your code into the module...

Thanks again.

--
NeedsExcelHelp4
NeedsExcelHelp4's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517358

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom/Paul, I tried this code also. Interestingly, it inserted the rows
properly but did error out at the same place. My data started on row 1, so I
kept B2 as B2. Am using Excel 2002. Any ideas on what is wrong, as I can
use this code also, even though I didn't enter the original question.
Thanks....Paige