Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Named Ranges

In a previous version of my workbook, I used named ranges, two of which
I deleted after upgrading the workbook. However, when I send the new
workbook to an overseas office so they can enter the data and return it
to me, the two deleted named ranges are back there - referring to a
local link "C:\Documents and Settings\........". Every time I
delete them, they keep coming back! Any help will save my sanity.
T.I.A.
Aussie Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

And if I want to look at names, I'll use Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles
Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

And make sure you save the file after you fix it (could it have been that???).

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave Peterson wrote:
When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

And if I want to look at names, I'll use Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles
Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

And make sure you save the file after you fix it (could it have been that???).

Dave Peterson

Thanks for your time Dave. Some interesting utilities at that web
site.

Unfortunately, I don't think they address my problem of the
"re-appearing ranges" that just won't die! ..... and yes, I did save
the fixed file - LOL. Think I'll keep a detailed log every time it
happens and see if there's a common thread. Thanks anyway.

Cheers, Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
A slightly different approach than that of Dave...

Do you have any form of version control on the file they are
returning?

I've had problems where people just keep using an old version of a
file.
IMHO, the fact that the link is looking at "C:\Documents and
Settings\........" suggests that the users are just using a version of
the file that is stored in their email system (although the link could
also become this through the process of being emailed to you).
In either case, the issue is not that "they just won't die!" it is more
that they have never been killed!

A simple technique I have used for version control just involves
inserting a date in the comment section of the File - Properties &
seeing if the file returned to you contains the same date/comment. If
it doesn't, give them a call & explain the new file is much better etc
etc & ask that they please use it.

hth,
Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

--
broro183
broro183's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30068