Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I copy validated lists

Making a schedule 21 days across by 12 rows down. I want to make a drop down
list of employees names and have the same list available in each cell. I use
the data, validation steps to create the lists, but Excel automatically
changes the coordinates of the data in each horizontal or vertical cell.

How do I make an IDENTICAL drop down list of employees show up in each cell?

This has frustrated me so badly that the dog assumes I'm going to kick him
and hides everytime I open an Excel spreadsheet. (well, if I really had a dog
to kick he would)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use a named range as the list source, as described he

or use an absolute reference to the list, e.g.: =$A$1:$A$6
instead of a relative reference: =A1:A6

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Paul Wrote:
Making a schedule 21 days across by 12 rows down. I want to make a drop
down
list of employees names and have the same list available in each cell.
I use
the data, validation steps to create the lists, but Excel
automatically
changes the coordinates of the data in each horizontal or vertical
cell.

How do I make an IDENTICAL drop down list of employees show up in each
cell?

This has frustrated me so badly that the dog assumes I'm going to kick
him
and hides everytime I open an Excel spreadsheet. (well, if I really had
a dog
to kick he would)

Hi there,
There are a couple of ways you can do this, Highlite the cells you want
to have the dropdown list,
then go
data,validation,lists
in the box click the squarething that takes you to the spreadsheet, go
to the range that has your list and highlite it press enter a couple of
times and voila, all those cells have your dropdown list in them.
if you wanted to have other cells that are not in a row with the cells
then you can highlite different ranges by pressing on the Ctrl button
and the keyboard and highlite different ranges,
to go to another worksheet and use the same list you need to name that
list
highlite the list click on the down arrow beside the formula box and a
drop down menu appears put a one word name in it, now you have named
your list
now anywhere in your workbook you can use the list
when you are in data validation, list
type =nameRange

--
davesexcel
davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31708

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Amillion thanks, Debra. Neat, simple solution, and your explanation was far
more understandable than umpteen searches through Excel's Help section. May
you always be happy and healthy! Paul.