Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problems using MS Query to access an Excel file

I imagine there are easier ways to work with this, but I want to use
"queries" on a set of data which is currently in an excel file.

However, when I try to do:

Data/Import External Data/NewDatabase Query/Excel Files ...
.... on the excel file. I get the following error message from Microsoft Query:

"This data source contains no visible tables"

What am I doing wrong? How do I set up the excel file so that it is clearly
seen as a table?

[It all works well when I do something similar with a very similar an Access
db file.]

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Select your data,
Do Insert=Name=Define

Enter Database under name and click Add.

then save your workbook and try it again.

Tom Ogilvy

"alfredo" wrote in message
I imagine there are easier ways to work with this, but I want to use
"queries" on a set of data which is currently in an excel file.

However, when I try to do:

Data/Import External Data/NewDatabase Query/Excel Files ...
... on the excel file. I get the following error message from Microsoft

Query:

"This data source contains no visible tables"

What am I doing wrong? How do I set up the excel file so that it is

clearly
seen as a table?

[It all works well when I do something similar with a very similar an

Access
db file.]

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You've got to give MS Query a little help in finding the data list. It looks
for named ranges. :

In Excel. select your data list
Click in the Name Box (just above the Col_A column heading)
Enter your range name and press the [Enter] key
(That will create the range name)

Now, try using MS Query.

BTW, It's a good idea come up with a naming convention now, since range
names can be so helpful. I use prefixes: LU_ for lookup ranges (LU_MyData),
rng for data sources (rngMyData), ep_ for Essbase Pull ranges (ep_MyData),
etc. That way similar range types will group together when you display them
in EditGo To or with the[F3] key when putting them in formulas.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"alfredo" wrote:

I imagine there are easier ways to work with this, but I want to use
"queries" on a set of data which is currently in an excel file.

However, when I try to do:

Data/Import External Data/NewDatabase Query/Excel Files ...
... on the excel file. I get the following error message from Microsoft Query:

"This data source contains no visible tables"

What am I doing wrong? How do I set up the excel file so that it is clearly
seen as a table?

[It all works well when I do something similar with a very similar an Access
db file.]

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks to both. Frighteningly simple if you know how!

Howwever, I am still getting an error message :

"Syntax error in FROM clause."

I will keep trying, as it is likely to be something I have done wrong.