Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to macro: 1.Search for string - 2.Copy row - 3.Paste in new sheet

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet with about 50,000 contacts. The columns (fields
are Name, Address, Phone Number, etc..

I need to search through this spreadsheet for all last names that matc
a certain criteria, say 'Alfred' and make a copy of this ROW and past
it to another sheet/workbook (not important which one).

The problem is that the 'Name' field is in the format of 'RW &
Cottle' or 'M Granger' (just like in the phone book) so as you can se
I CAN'T sort this column by last name and then make a copy of ever
entry that matches the search string.

Instead what I need is a spectacular Macro (or something) to do it fo
me, otherwise i'd be sitting there for weeks copying and pasting (ther
are about 50,000 x 100 files...).

I need to automate this almost completely. I want to enter the name t
search for, have it search for all those records, copy those row
associated with those records, paste them in a new sheet and that'
all! Sounds so easy hey! Well I dare someone to come up with
solution!

I would really appreciate some advice in regards to this problem, as i
could mean a promotion! :)

... and a solution would be absolutely awsome!!

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Michael Gallaghe

--
M.Gallaghe
M.Gallagher's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3129