-   -   File opens as worksheet.xls:1 and worksheet.xls:2. Only one exist (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/351825-file-opens-worksheet-xls-1-worksheet-xls-2-only-one-exist.html)

Dave the wave[_2_]

File opens as worksheet.xls:1 and worksheet.xls:2. Only one exist

Without explanation I have 2 different files that whenever I open them in
Excel, 2 workbooks open, both with the same name. I can switch between the 2,
and changes to the one are refleceted in the other. I can't figure out how to
get back to just a single instance of the workbook.
--
Thanks MUCH!
Dave

Norman Jones

File opens as worksheet.xls:1 and worksheet.xls:2. Only one exist

Hi Dave,

This is the result of Window | New.

To remove the extraneous window, click the X close button at the top right
of the document window - not the Excel window!

---
Regards,
Norman

"Dave the wave" wrote in message
Without explanation I have 2 different files that whenever I open them in
Excel, 2 workbooks open, both with the same name. I can switch between the
2,
and changes to the one are refleceted in the other. I can't figure out how
get back to just a single instance of the workbook.
--
Thanks MUCH!
Dave

MDW

File opens as worksheet.xls:1 and worksheet.xls:2. Only one exist

Close one. Save the file. Re-open. Should be fixed.

This can generally be re-created by openeing any file, choosing Windows
New Window, and then saving it.
--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

"Dave the wave" wrote:

Without explanation I have 2 different files that whenever I open them in
Excel, 2 workbooks open, both with the same name. I can switch between the 2,
and changes to the one are refleceted in the other. I can't figure out how to
get back to just a single instance of the workbook.
--
Thanks MUCH!
Dave

Dave Peterson

File opens as worksheet.xls:1 and worksheet.xls:2. Only one exist

Select the window that you don't want.
hit ctrl-w
save the workbook or you'll have to do it again next time.

Dave the wave wrote:

Without explanation I have 2 different files that whenever I open them in
Excel, 2 workbooks open, both with the same name. I can switch between the 2,
and changes to the one are refleceted in the other. I can't figure out how to
get back to just a single instance of the workbook.
--
Thanks MUCH!
Dave

--

Dave Peterson

Dave the Wave

File opens as worksheet.xls:1 and worksheet.xls:2. Only one exist

"Norman Jones" wrote in
:

Hi Dave,

This is the result of Window | New.

To remove the extraneous window, click the X close button at the top
right of the document window - not the Excel window!

---
Regards,
Norman

"Dave the wave" wrote in
message ...
Without explanation I have 2 different files that whenever I open
them in Excel, 2 workbooks open, both with the same name. I can
switch between the 2,
and changes to the one are refleceted in the other. I can't figure
out how to
get back to just a single instance of the workbook.
--
Thanks MUCH!
Dave

Clicking the "close" button for one of the workbooks did the trick.

Thanks much for your help.

Norman Jones

File opens as worksheet.xls:1 and worksheet.xls:2. Only one exist

Hi Dave,

Clicking the "close" button for one of the workbooks did the trick.

Good - but note Dave Peterson's advice about saving the file!

---
Regards,
Norman