Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How parse out characters from long string?

Am having problems parsing out characters from a long string I have
many rows of. The data looks like 215781507021 and the problem is that
the Excel keeps converting the data to the scientific notation format
(example 2.15782E+11) when I use the mid( ) function to take the
selected characters that I want. What am I doing wrong? I even tried
using the cstr() command to change the format to 'text' but I still
keep getting just the n-th characters from the scientific notation
version of the number.

Thanks,
Chet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use the Format function to get the correct numeric string, then
use your Mid command on that. E.g.,

Debug.Print Mid(Format(Range("A1"), "0"), 1, 4)

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Chet" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am having problems parsing out characters from a long string I
have
many rows of. The data looks like 215781507021 and the problem
is that
the Excel keeps converting the data to the scientific notation
format
(example 2.15782E+11) when I use the mid( ) function to take
the
selected characters that I want. What am I doing wrong? I
even tried
using the cstr() command to change the format to 'text' but I
still
keep getting just the n-th characters from the scientific
notation
version of the number.

Thanks,
Chet