Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DMB DMB is offline

Default Is there an example of a DB procedure that adds a col of nums

Is there an example of a DB procedure that adds a col of nums from several
worksheets and multiple workbooks? I am new to excel sql database coding.
Currently I open the relevant files and get the numbers I need. I would
prefer to not open the files. It seems to me that my programing will be more
efficient if I access the excel database to collect information. It seems to
be that way with other programs also. ACAD, ect.

I need to sum data from (col 3), a number, based on (col 4 = name), a
string. I need to look through several sheets in several workbooks. I will
identify the workbooks in the code but the worksheets may change. ie. I keep
adding worksheets weekly. I want the programing to cycle through all sheets
in the workbooks that I define.

I suppose this is alot to ask. I have used oracle before so I understand
that. But using the sql to access an excel file is new stuff. I need to get a
book for this. Problem is, I think this is where I leave VBA and continue
with my VB.net programing. This way I can write all of my stuff in vb.net for
ACAD and EXCEL, Windows Applications, ect.

I there is a link to somewhere or an easy way to do this let me know.

Thanks for all the help you have provided so far. My boss think I am smart!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can treat a sheet or a range in a sheet as a database using ADO or
ADO.Net.

http://search.msdn.microsoft.com/sea...View=msdn&st=b

has some articles on this.

Tom Ogilvy