Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VB6/Excel: Opening a workbook off a LAN drive

I have a developer who is attempting to open an Excel workbook via VB6.
He dims and later sets the appropriate variable to an Excel.Application. He
does the same for a workbook object. The code is running off a server, with a
mapped drive of W. To troubleshoot and test, he uses Dameware to log into the
server. Then he runs his application. When he goes to open a workbook off
our LAN, it returns an error #1004.

He copied the project to his local PC. His mapped drive to the server is now
X. No big deal, he changes the path to X:\... The code works on his local PC.

Anyone seen any issues with opening a workbook off the LAN with a mapped
drive?

In case this helps:
- Changing the path to use UNC does not solve the issue.
- When using the immediate window right after the 1004 error pops up, we ran
a vba.dir(<path) and the filename is returned, so the file is on the
filesystem.
Hard codind the path in the Workbooks.Open() method does not solve the
problem either.
- The PC and the server both use VB6 and Excel2002 SP3.
- This issue immediately arose when Excel on the server was upgraded from
Excel97 just 2 days ago.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Even though you say it makes no difference I would still always use the UNC
path.

What do you mean by "running off a server"? Are you using VB to automate
Excel on a web server?
It's not clear from your description what is going on, but quite possbly
it's somehow related to permissions...

No idea what Dameware is: maybe you could expand on that.

Also, what is the text of the error message? The number is not as useful.

Tim.

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"David Frette" <David wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

UNC - I don't have a choice; it's not my app.
Server - VB and Excel are both on a Windows 2000 Server. It could be a web
sever, though I doubt it. The program is not access by the web.
Dameware - a remote client, Novell based.
Text of Error - I didn't write it down. I am waiting for the developer to
get back to me with that. I did see it and saw how he produced it - but I
don't recall the verbiage.