Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default PDF to Excel

Hello all,

I have a 250-page pdf file. The pdf file is a checklist which means it has
columns and tables. I like to convert it into Excel without losing any
formatting from the pdf file.

Does anyone know of a software to do it or other solutions? Any suggestions
would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

AccessHelp wrote:
Hello all,

I have a 250-page pdf file. The pdf file is a checklist which means it has
columns and tables. I like to convert it into Excel without losing any
formatting from the pdf file.

Does anyone know of a software to do it or other solutions? Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

------------------

Copy/Paste from the PDF document into Excel frequently works if its organization
is not overly complex and variable. You may need to use Excel's
DataTextToColumns afterwards to break it into separate columns - or you may not.

Alternatively OCR software can frequently read in PDF files and output Excel
data that is properly tabled and requires no further manipulation. I use
AbbyyFine for the purpose, but there are other programs out there too.

Good luck.

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bill,

Thanks. I am looking for something that can convert it into Excel
automatically regardless of number of pages and format.

I posted the same tread last week, and you responded to me too. In your
response, you mentioned to me that we can write a code to get the info from
pdf into Excel. Would you tell me more about it? Can you share with me on
the code?

Thanks.

"Bill Martin" wrote:

AccessHelp wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I said (on 1/4) was that you could do copy/paste to your Excel sheet, and
if it didn't look exactly right, you could write VBA to parse the string into
the proper columns.

You need to do the copy/paste, then look at the data string that gets created
for one of your rows - cell A1 for example. If it's not correct, you'll
probably see that it's simply got all the column elements in one cell with
spaces or tabs between them.

At that point you can maybe use Excel's DataText2Columns to fix it. If the
problem is too subtle for Excel's built in parser, then you can write your own
VBA routine to break the one text string into 2 or 4 or however many columns you
have. In my experience it's generally easy to see with your eye where the
column breaks should have been made, so it's generally relatively easy to write
code to parse it. Start from the left end and search the text for the first
space (or tab, or comma or whatever) for example, then snip off that piece of
text and store it in the first column, then do it again for the next column, etc.

If you don't have any experience with parsing, this is an easy problem to start
learning with or you can hire someone with Computer Science experience.

Good luck.

Bill