Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Coverting a txt file to multiple Workbooks

Hello. I have a question I hope someone could help me with. I'm not a
programmer but I know a little to navigate to enter code and such if
need be.

So my situation is this.

I have a program that when I run a report I can either print a hard
copy and fax it manually or save the report as a Txt file. If I use the
Txt file I have to go into excel and save it as an xls file so I can
then e-mail it and the recipient can sort and do what ever with it.

The report can consist of one location per report or multiple locations
with various information. It could range from 1 page to 50 or more
pages. The location is the only value that is unique to each location.
As of now if I save the txt file with say 20 locations and open it in
excel it puts everything on one worksheet and the only way to separate
them is finding when the next new location comes up as a break.

So my question is this. Is there a way once I save the txt file to open
excel run a macro that would open it up into one sheet then find the
breaks by every new location and create new workbooks with just that
info on it and save it to a particular dir on the HD with the file
being the name of the location. Then I could go into Outlook and then
go to that folder and attach that file to the e-mail and send it off?

Is this possible?

If anything needs clarified please ask?

Thanks for your help.

Rob

--
RobToo
RobToo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30558

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the code here will do most of what you want:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm

You should be able to enrich it from the examples to achieve all that you
want. Basically bring the whole text file into a workbook, then use the
techniques at the above link.

Tom Ogilvy

"RobToo" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Tom. I'll try it out and see what I come up with.