Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Length of worksheet name

Is there a property, or registry entry, that specifies the maximum length of
a worksheet name?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe the built in (unalterable) limitation is 31 characters.

Tom Ogilvy

"Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
Is there a property, or registry entry, that specifies the maximum length

of
a worksheet name?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
I believe the built in (unalterable) limitation is 31 characters.

Ayup, I also believe that, but I'd rather not hard code the value, in case
the value changes for future versions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Perhaps if they make it longer, they will offer something you can check
programmatically. Right now, I don't believe there is.

Ayup, that's a design flaw in MSFT's thinking.
Such critters ALL need to made into properties or registry settings from day
1.
Does no good to have the property in later versions as the critter won't
work in previous versions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you're trying to catch possible errors before a rename, maybe you could just
try it and check for an error:

dim myNewName as string
mynewname = inputbox(prompt:="new name?")
if trim(mynewname) = "" then
exit sub
end if

with activesheet
on error resume next
.name = myNewName
if err.number < 0 then
'something went wrong--maybe the length, maybe something else
msgbox "not renamed!
err.clear
end if
on error goto 0
end with

There are lots of other things that cause rename errors besides the length of
the suggested new name.

--

Dave Peterson