Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Speech Recognition in an Excel Macro

Hello,

I wrote an app in VB 6.0 that uses voice recognition (MS SAPI 5.1). It
works perfectly, but my purpose is to interface with an Excel
spreadsheet a little more dynamically than Excel's built-in Voice
Recognition functions allow. At present, I have to load my app first
and it then loads Excel.

What I would like to do is build my app into an Excel macro so that it
runs entirely within Excel. However, when I try the basic speech
recognition code in a user form in Excel's VB Editor, it doesn't work.
Has anyone run speech recognition inside an Excel macro? The basic code
I used came from MSDN's "Basic VB Dictation" (or something like that)
and requires only a reference to the "Microsoft Speech Object Library"
(which is available in Excel's VB Editor).

The reason I'd prefer to run this as an Excel macro is because the
computer that this will run on has program restrictions. I can build
all the macros I want, but loading standalone executables on it is a
different story.

Thanks for the help.

Joel

--