Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Text box pop-up

I have a spreadsheet that I received from a Vendor that. when a cell is
selected, a text box appears with a description of what to do.... kind-of
like a help tip that is specific for the cell that was selected. The content
of the box changes depending on the cell and I can move the box wherever I
want..... THe question is- how is that done????

I have tried looking around the file. However, it is protected with a
Password that the vendor will not share.... something about changing their
spreadsheet... blah, blah, blah. They have bugs in it that they won;t fix
and I can't because I can't get in .... anyway back to the point....

I have asked the vendor. They either don't know or don't want to share. I
have a few spreadsheets that I have developed on my own where this would be
incredibly useful. Any comments or suggestions in the general direction of
how to set this up would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don,
I think (suspect) this done using "Data Validation" which allows
an Input Message and/or Error Alert.

Click on a cell, go to Data==Validation

In Settings; set to "allow any value" (default)
click on "Input Message" tab and enter text in "Input Message" area; you
enter a Title if required. Click OK.

You should the message(s) by your selected cell.

HTH

Click OK

"Don Ireland" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You know, I have used Validation all over the place and never thought this
was it.... duh....

Thanks for the help.

I couldn't verify it on the actual spreadsheet- because it is protected and
I can't release it. But I tried it on another spreadsheet and it behaved the
same way so that sounds like it.

Now, if i could just get past the protection, I could fix the spreadsheet
the rest of the way to use it.....

Thanks again