Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default add numbers to a list on a conditional basis

I'm a begining excel user so my question is more or less in laymen's terms;
What I would like to do is take a number that I place in one cell and post
it to a list of vertical cells in a different worksheet; as if the number was
being placed one after another in a vertical fashion on another page. The
list that it would be placed in would be determined by the text in an
adjacent cell. Particularly I'm making accounting records and I'm using one
sheet as a general journal and I want the number to post itself to the ledger
account on another sheet. I want the list that it's put in to be determined
by the account title that I put in a cell that is on the same horizontal axis
as it. I was thinking that I could make some sort of conditional test but
excel only allows for 7 nested conditions and i have about 20 so far.
thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out
-Brian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

brian -

you want to do alot and you are new at this = so try and break down your
requests into very small problems/issues.
complicated stuff or things that take lots of steps/explaination won't get
answered well

for testing conditions try array formulas or sumproduct function

array formula example is : =sum(if(a1:a101,a1:a10,0)) and hold down
crtl-shift when you hit enter
this performs the sum function on the tested array

sumproduct is: = sumproduct((a1:a10="West")*1,(B1:b10="soap")*1,c1: c10)
assume $ are in c1:c10. this will sum soap sales in the west region

if you are not using formulas, try looking on the web for VBA examples to
learn a bit or record some macros and look at them
then post specific questions.

best of luck - voodooJoe