Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Chart DataLabel Alignment / Word Wrap

Is there a way to control word wrap in data labels on a chart? I have
a bar chart that shows paraphrased questions as the labels. I've been
able to use VBA to control the placement, font, color, etc. but not the
word wrap. So instead of seeing something like:

Overall Change in Customer Statisfaction [ ]

I see

Overall Change in
Customer Satisfaction [
]

where [ ] is the bar. There is plenty of room for the phrase to
stretch out, I just can't seem to control it.

Thanks.

- John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Short answer no. You can force the text to wrap by using line-feed
characters but you can not stop the automatic wraps from happening.
Changing the font size may help but I usually find that by the time the
text has stopped wrapping the text is too small to read.

One way around the problem is to use textboxes instead of data labels.
You can select the chart and then add textboxes to it. These can then be
linked to cells in order to display dynamic values. For more info on
that see, http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm

Although the position of the textboxes will not alter unless done
manually or with some VBA code.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I've done alot with linked text boxes
but unless I can link the text box to a dynamic position (i.e. the end
of a bar) that won't work for me. Looks like I'll need to encourage
users to be brief and keep the phrases to less than 25 characters.

- John