Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Passwords etc

I have a sheet that makes use of security a fair bit. I need the
ability for a user to be able to change the password. I currently
store this in a global variable that is set in Auto_Open()

This same password is used to protect some worksheets...

The VB script is also password protected.

There is a before save macro that protect & hides sheets. This is to
ensure that if macros are disabled the sheets are not visible - ie the
thing will only work with macros enabled.

Anyway I need a way in VB to set all this - at the moment I have to get
the user to change the protect password manually and then ediut the VB
script to change the password definition. I'd like it to be the case
that a user knowing the current password can easily change it via a
macro.

Maybe storinng the password in an encrypted way - but again I'd need to
be abel to test user input against this.

I need it such that without the password normal users cant discover
it.

I think I can achiueve what I need if there is a way to get one macro
to change a line in a different macro I coudl carry on with my current
method.

I had thought about storing the passord in a hidden sheet, however it
was then trivial to reference that cell from another sheet in another
file and discover the password.

Any help /advice appreciated.

Teh sheet itself is not password protected on open - it doesnt need
that - just some macros I restrict by prompting for a password and then
checkign int he macros itself that it mateches the global variable.

Regards
Clive

--
ccarmock
ccarmock's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27670

Passwords Tina Marie Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 March 17th 08 04:21 PM
Passwords Cathi Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 October 13th 06 06:01 PM
Passwords Black Jack Excel Programming 1 June 29th 05 03:03 AM
Passwords ammader Excel Programming 0 December 22nd 03 02:41 PM
VBA and Passwords? Pat Beck Excel Programming 0 August 25th 03 08:15 PM