-   -   spliting out data in one field into two (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/348861-spliting-out-data-one-field-into-two.html)

ginab

spliting out data in one field into two

Hi, I have a speadsheet where I need to split data out of one field in two
and six fields instead. Here is what I have.

01-02-400-003-000
I need to split these out into 5 different fields by the hyphen.

2004015608
I need to separte out this by the first 4 numbers; into two fields.

Is there a forumula that does this?

Thanks!!!

Norman Jones

spliting out data in one field into two

Hi Ginab,

01-02-400-003-000
I need to split these out into 5 different fields by the hyphen.

Try:

Data | Text to columns | Delimited | Next | Enter a hyphen in the 'Other'
option

2004015608
I need to separte out this by the first 4 numbers; into two fields

Try:

Data | Text to columns | Fixed width | ...

---
Regards,
Norman

"ginab" wrote in message
Hi, I have a speadsheet where I need to split data out of one field in two
and six fields instead. Here is what I have.

01-02-400-003-000
I need to split these out into 5 different fields by the hyphen.

2004015608
I need to separte out this by the first 4 numbers; into two fields.

Is there a forumula that does this?

Thanks!!!

ginab

spliting out data in one field into two

So do I need to go in and inset columns then write it one just one of the
columns?

Thanks!!

"ginab" wrote in message
Hi, I have a speadsheet where I need to split data out of one field in two
and six fields instead. Here is what I have.

01-02-400-003-000
I need to split these out into 5 different fields by the hyphen.

2004015608
I need to separte out this by the first 4 numbers; into two fields.

Is there a forumula that does this?

Thanks!!!

ginab

spliting out data in one field into two