Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Running a variable macro when any value is entered into a variable cell

Dear all

I have a simple problem and a difficult problem.

Simple:
I have two columns in a worksheet. I have written a code for a macro
that enters today's date in the second column, then converts it to a
value - i.e. not =today(). I want that code to be executed when any
value is entered into the first column.

e.g. If text is entered in A1 and A1 is clicked away from - B1 is
populated with =today(), then copied and pasted into a value (via the
macro I have already written)

Difficult:
This is an extension of the simple problem, but need help creating a
more complex macro to solve the below-
I have a worksheet that contains an unlimited number of rows. I need a
macro to be run to populate Column B with =today(), then copied and
pasted into a value, when a value has been added into Column A.
However, I need this macro to work for any row within Column A & B.

e.g. If text is entered in A1 and A1 is clicked away from - B1 is
populated with =today(), then copied and pasted into a value. And this
macro will work if text is entered in A100 and A100 is clicked away
from - B100 is populated with =today(), then copied and pasted into a
value.

Can anyone please help with either the above problems???

Kind Regards

Iain

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Running a variable macro when any value is entered into a variable

Hi Iain,

Look at the worksheet_change event - you'll see that when you click away
from A1 this event fires and you can then use the event to populate B1.

Word of advice - don't use a real email address with newsgroups - you'll get
a ton of spam

This will work simply for the easy problem and with a bit of lateral
thinking it'll work for the difficult one.

Cheers,

John

--
www.alignment-systems.com

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

John

I have tried using the worksheet_change event as follow:

If Target.Column = 3 Then DATA1

End Sub

Along with the Macro:

Sub DATA1()

Range("E9").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=TODAY()"
Range("E9").Select
Selection.Copy
SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Range("F9").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = ""
Range("F9").Select

End Sub

However, When I select C9 and click off it, nothing happens. Although
E9 should have todays date value in it. Can you see where I am going
wrong? I am using Excel 2003, and Column 3(C) is a dropdown list of
values.

Kind Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ian,

Your code works for me.

Perhaps events have been inadevertently turned off. To resolve this, in the
VBE immediate window type:

Application.EnableEvents = True

and hit the Enter key.

Incidentally, i think that your procedu