Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to get value of variable when single stepping through code?

I have Office 2003 and am writing some Excel VBA code. My question is how
do I get the value of a variable to show up when I move the mouse cursor on
top of
that variable while single stepping through code? (This is the only way I
want to do it with the mouse because anything else much slower.)

Previously this worked and I'm now single stepping through my code to debug
it and the variables are not displaying their values when I move the mouse
cursor over them. I know I can add a 'watch' also but this is inconvenient
to do on-the-fly. Tools / auto data tips is turned on also.

So it worked before and now it's not doing it. I don't know why. I've
posted 4 times but no one has any ideas yet. Helllllp... any more ideas on
getting it working to show the values on 'mouse-over' during single step
execution mode? Is there a program bug in Excel that someone is aware of?
(Help MVP's..!)

Thanks,

Chet Shannon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know how to fix that problem, but you could try using the
immediate window. If you have it open as you debug, you can post
questions to get variable values. like ?Range("A2") Once you hit the
enter key the next line will display the value of A2. I know it isn't
nearly as convienient as the mouse but is is helpful. Hope you find
your answer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chet,
I am no MVP by a long shot, but I had the same problem as you today and
here's how I got the value of the variable to appear when I move my cursor
over it.

-Open up your code in the VB editor
-Press F9 where you want your breakpoints
-Press F5 to run your code
-When it stops at a breakpoint you put your cursor over a variable to get
the value
-Press F5 to resume running your code until the next breakpoint

Here is the webpage that gave me this information:

Hope that helps you out,
Bill

"Chet Shannon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In the VBA Editor, go to the Tools menu and choose Options, then
the Editor tab. There, ensure that "Auto Data Tips" is checked.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Chet Shannon" wrote in
message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Funnily enough I have just posted the same query.

However I found the reason why this was happening.
It is nothing to do with your settings, it is not working, because you have
IE open. Mine doesn't work either, but as soon as I shut down Internet
Explorer, (even in the middle of debugging some code), hey presto, the
variables are showing immediately.

Don't know why, but it works!!

HTH

Wild Jim