Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA How do I set a value in a cell?

Hi All Excel experts!

I'm using Excel 2003 Professional Edition.

How do I set a value in a cell from a VBA function. I can't return the value
from the function, it must be entered from VBA code.

I have tried this line:
Range("Sheet1:M5").Value = "hello"
and:
Range("Sheet1!M5").Value = "hello"

No luck, I only get "#VALUE!" in the cell where the VBA script is running
from, and no "hello" in cell M5.

Regards,
Lars-Inge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sheet("Sheet1").Range("M5").Value = "hello"

--
Cheers
Nigel

"Lars-Inge Tønnessen (VJ# MVP)" <http://emailme.larsinge.com wrote in
message ...
Hi All Excel experts!

I'm using Excel 2003 Professional Edition.

How do I set a value in a cell from a VBA function. I can't return the

value
from the function, it must be entered from VBA code.

I have tried this line:
Range("Sheet1:M5").Value = "hello"
and:
Range("Sheet1!M5").Value = "hello"

No luck, I only get "#VALUE!" in the cell where the VBA script is running
from, and no "hello" in cell M5.

Regards,
Lars-Inge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Lars-Inge,
Try
Worksheets("Sheet1").range("M5").value = "hello"
grtx's Martijn

"Lars-Inge Tønnessen (VJ# MVP)" <http://emailme.larsinge.com schreef in
bericht ...
Hi All Excel experts!

I'm using Excel 2003 Professional Edition.

How do I set a value in a cell from a VBA function. I can't return the

value
from the function, it must be entered from VBA code.

I have tried this line:
Range("Sheet1:M5").Value = "hello"
and:
Range("Sheet1!M5").Value = "hello"

No luck, I only get "#VALUE!" in the cell where the VBA script is running
from, and no "hello" in cell M5.

Regards,
Lars-Inge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

When you really are writing a function, then I'm afrayd you'll encounter
problems anyway. As rule you can't change anything in Excel function - btw
you can't change any cell values. Write a procedure instead, or be content
with function displaying a result in cell it resides.

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvil<attarkon.ee )

"Lars-Inge Tønnessen (VJ# MVP)" <http://emailme.larsinge.com wrote in
message ...
Hi All Excel experts!

I'm using Excel 2003 Professional Edition.

How do I set a value in a cell from a VBA function. I can't return the
value from the function, it must be entered from VBA code.

I have tried this line:
Range("Sheet1:M5").Value = "hello"
and:
Range("Sheet1!M5").Value = "hello"

No luck, I only get "#VALUE!" in the cell where the VBA script is running
from, and no "hello" in cell M5.

Regards,
Lars-Inge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This gave me "#VALUE!":

Formula in cell M16 "=go()"

Public Function go() As String
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("M5").Value = "hello"
End Function

Regards,
Lars-Inge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This gave me "Compile error: sub or Function not defined".

Public Function go() As String
Sheet("Sheet1").Range("M5").Value = "hello"
End Function

I have also tried:

Public Function go() As String
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("M5").Value = "hello"
End Function

With the result: "#VALUE!" in the formula cell M16.

I can read cells with this code, so I think the VBA "engine" is running and
working. I would like to write a value in a cell (, not read it)

Public Function go() As String
MsgBox ("-" & Range("B1").Value)
End Function

Regards,
Lars-Inge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yeaaahhh!!! :o)

This works like a dream.

gogogo
End Sub

Public Sub gogogo()
Range("M5").Value = "Hello"

Lars-Inge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Change:
Public Function go() As String
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("M5").Value = "hello"
End Function

To:
Public Sub go() As String
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("M5").Value = "hello"
End Sub

HTH

"Lars-Inge Tønnessen (VJ# MVP)" <http://emailme.larsinge.com wrote in
message ...
This gave me "#VALUE!":

Formula in cell M16 "=go()"

Public Function go() As String
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("M5").Value = "hello"
End Function

Regards,
Lars-Inge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming