Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default file append & opposite #2

Group,

I've written some VBA code to add some data to a file using something
similar to:

open "c:\temp\junk.txt" for append as #1

I now wish to write some code to remove this data.

Example: The file starts out as 23,847 bytes and my macro makes it 23,857
bytes. What code would move the EOF up ten bytes restoring the file as it
originally was?

Thanks in advance,

Christmas
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

Dim myFileName As String
Dim myContents As String

' Dim FSO As Scripting.FileSystemObject
' Dim myFile As Scripting.TextStream
' Set FSO = New Scripting.FileSystemObject

Dim FSO As Object
Dim myFile As Object
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

myFileName = "C:\my documents\excel\test.txt"

If FSO.fileexists(myFileName) = False Then
MsgBox "quitting!"
Exit Sub
End If

Set myFile = FSO.OpenTextFile(myFileName, 1, False)
myContents = myFile.ReadAll
myFile.Close

myContents = Left(myContents, Len(myContents) - 10)

Set myFile = FSO.CreateTextFile(myFileName, True)
myFile.Write myContents
myFile.Close

End Sub

--