Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Finding values

Hi

I got a worksheet which has 5 columns I want to do a search in colum
a. Column A has 5 digit numbers. these numbers run in nummeric order.

this is information taken from an old system. Data used to be entere
in and the record number ended in 0. Of course this coursed a proble
as it used up the numbers quiet quickly and on our old database w
could only have 5 digit number. so to rectify the problem we starte
including 1-9 so now in excel I got a list (see example.xls) where b
it runs nummeric order from 80000-80023 and then 80030,80040,80050 ho
do i run a find that picks up if it exists if it does then tell th
user and leave a row and insert next number.

It is really hard to explain so please refer to example.xl

|Filename: Example.zip
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4059

funkymonkU
funkymonkUK's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1813
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48758

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

anybody?

--
funkymonkUK
funkymonkUK's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can do it with a macro:
Sub InsertRows
rowNumber = Cells(20000, 1).End(xlUp).Row
i = 3
Do While i <= rowNumber
If Cells(i, 1) < Cells(i - 1, 1) + 1 Then
Rows(i).Insert
Cells(i, 1) = Cells(i - 1, 1) + 1
rowNumber = rowNumber + 1
End If