Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Minutes to seconds

Hi, I'm facing a little problem and I have no idea how to solve this, so
I hope some of you guys can help me out on this.

I'd like to see a time of for instance 6:08.74 (6 minutes, 8 seconds
and 74 hundreds) to be calculated as a value of 368.74 seconds.
So let's say C10 says 6:08.74 then I'd like to have a formula in C11
which tells me that it's the same as 368.74 seconds.

Hope you guys can help me out,
thanks is advance

Partysquad.

--
Partysquad
Partysquad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28970

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See response in .newusers

--

HTH

RP

"Partysquad" wrote
in message ...

Hi, I'm facing a little problem and I have no idea how to solve this, so
I hope some of you guys can help me out on this.

I'd like to see a time of for instance 6:08.74 (6 minutes, 8 seconds
and 74 hundreds) to be calculated as a value of 368.74 seconds.
So let's say C10 says 6:08.74 then I'd like to have a formula in C11
which tells me that it's the same as 368.74 seconds.

Hope you guys can help me out,
thanks is advance

Partysquad.

--
Partysquad
Partysquad's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487040

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

try this formula "=c11*60*60*24" and make sure to format the cell as a
number

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Partysquad,

Add a VBA module to your project. Copy the following code into it. On
the worksheet use it like any other formula.

Example:
Cell C10 = "6:08.74"
Cell C11 =TotalSeconds(C10)

Code:
--------------------

Public Function TotalSeconds(Cell As Range)

Application.Volatile

Dim I As Long
Dim TimeStr As String
Dim X

TimeStr = Cell.Value
I = InStr(1, TimeStr, ":")

If I 0 Then
X = Val(Left(TimeStr, I - 1)) * 60
X = X + Val(Right(TimeStr, Len(TimeStr) - I))
Else
X = 0
End If

TotalSeconds = X

End Function

--------------------

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

--
Leith Ross
Leith Ross's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18465

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The formula you want is =C10*24*60*60 formatted as general. Why?

Times are really numbers where 1.0 is actually a day. Multiply by 24 to get
hours, then by 60 to get minutes, then by 60 again to get seconds.
--
Gary's Student

"Partysquad" wrote:

Hi, I'm facing a little problem and I have no idea how to solve this, so
I hope some of you guys can help me out on this.

I'd like to see a time of for instance 6:08.74 (6 minutes, 8 seconds
and 74 hundreds) to be calculated as a value of 368.74 seconds.
So let's say C10 says 6:08.74 then I'd like to have a formula in C11
which tells me that it's the same as 368.74 seconds.

Hope you guys can help me out,
thanks is advance

Partysquad.

--
Partysquad
Partysquad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28970
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487040

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If 6:08.74 was in c10, I could use:
=c10*24*60*60
Format the cell as General.

Partysquad wrote:

Hi, I'm facing a little problem and I have no idea how to solve this, so
I hope some of you guys can help me out on this.

I'd like to see a time of for instance 6:08.74 (6 minutes, 8 seconds
and 74 hundreds) to be calculated as a value of 368.74 seconds.
So let's say C10 says 6:08.74 then I'd like to have a formula in C11
which tells me that it's the same as 368.74 seconds.

Hope you guys can help me out,
thanks is advance

Partysquad.

--
Partysquad
Partysquad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28970
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487040

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob and Andrew, thanks for replying, I've added the formula into my
sheet, and I've format both cells (the one with the minutes and the one
with the formula) as a number, but all I get as a result is #VALUE!

Leith, I think I'm too much of a newbie in Excel to understand what
you're talking about, sorry for that, but I appreciate your reply.

--
Partysquad
Partysquad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28970
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487040

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Also when I have one or both of the cells formatted as General it stil
gives me #VALUE

--
Partysqua
Partysquad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2897

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Partysquad,

Here's how to install the macro. Don't panic, it's not difficult.

1) First Copy the code by selecting it and press CTRL + C.

2) Have your workbook open and press ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic
Editor.

3) Press ALT + I, this will display the Insert Menu.

4) Press M to insert a new VBA module into your project (workbook).

5) Press CTRL + V to paste the code into the module

6) Press CTRL + S to save the macro.

7) Press ALT + Q to return to Excel

Your done. The macro is installed and you can call use it as I showed
you in the previous post.

Code:
--------------------

--------------------

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

--
Leith Ross
Leith Ross's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18465
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487040

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Leith,

You're a genious, thanks for the support, couldn't have done this
without your help.
It's working perfect now, you don't know how happy you're making me ;)

Partysquad