Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default da@pd

Hi, I asked this question earlier today, but didn't see it posted on the
boards, so I'm asking again... sorry if this turns out to be a repost...

My company has just acquired a warehouse full of parts, and has asked me to
scrub the part #'s from the new inventory against our other 7 warehouses to
determine any new parts # that need to be loaded into the system..

I am trying to use If(NA(Vlookup,etc..etc..)) formulas to determine when
there is a match from the new list against say Warehouse1, when there is not,
I want to run the "non-matching" parts against the next warehouse, and so on
and so forth to wittle the part #'s that need to be loaded into the system as
small as possible.

I have been trying to accomplish this using if(isNA(Vlookup) and creating a
list of "non-matching numbers" with a simple if,then command, the problem is
that when I try to move to the next step of the elimination process, the
program seems to not ignore the already matched part numbers that were 0's
from the previous step....

This should be a simple task, but I've spent 3 days trying to widdle down
this list of 4,500 part numbers, which I probably could have almost done by
hand by now... Can you give me a simple logic to follow that I'm missing or
a VBA script that would help with a stepped elimination of these part #'s?
Thank you!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How are you attempting to recognize parts already match from an earlier
warehouse? Two similar approaches come to mind. The first is just an
autofilter. That is, assuming your parts are in column A, put your
isna(vlookup...) function in column B. Now turn on autofilters and select
only the TRUE values in column B. In those cells, enter your next
isna(vlookup...), this time referencing the second warehouse, and so on.
(Caution: when creating the subsequent lookups, be sure to note which row
you're on; you can't blindly vlookup(a2, ....), since you may have filtered
out row 2!
The second way, pretty similar really, is to put the lookups for warehouse 1
in column B, for warehouse 2 in column C, etc. The parts that are totally
new would have TRUE in every column, so you could autofilter for that, or
create a final column: =AND(B2,C2,D2,E2,F2,G2,H2). The new parts would all
have TRUE as the result.