Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Symbols for playing cards

Hi all
I am writing a program to generate a dealing file for bridge to deal hands
using a dealing machine which physically deals the hands for tournament
bridge (.DGE format for those who might know).

I need to insert the suit symbols:
e.g spade (#170), heart(#169), diamond(#168) or club(#167) character
I have a variable (string) called HandText that I need to add a set of
characters to.
When I run the following:
HandText = HandText + Chr(170)
HandText = HandText + "A"
HandText = HandText + "6" etc.
This is the output I get
'ªA652©QJ5¨KQT8§T4
to represent the hand,
(Spade)A652(Heart)QJ5(Diamond)KQT8(Club)T4

The dealing machine program gives me an an error as it seems to need the
actual spade symbol.

What do I need to do to the line
HandText = HandText + Chr(170)
to get an actual spade symbol?
Do I format the text as Symbol? If so how?

Peter Bircher

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Pete,

The card symbols are Font dependent. If the machine you are running the
code doesn't support the Font you are using, you get strange results.
You made need to import the Font with your code to ensure it will run
correctly.

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

--
Leith Ross
Leith Ross's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18465

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Leith.

I have just tried Chr(6), Chr(3), Chr(4), Chr(5) for Spades, Hearts,
Diamonds 7 Clubs repectively

And it works! So not to worry, my dealer is dealing and all is well here in
Durban, South Africa.

Peter Bircher

"Leith Ross" wrote
in message ...