Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Why No Work?

I've been toying with thing the past 20 minutes
And it is refusing to work, any observations?

Application.EnableEvents = False
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 2
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 2
ActiveSheet.PrintPreview
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Cancel = True
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Intention, obviously is to hide (from printing) cells C13 and C18.
TIA,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim,

Your code works for me.

If you mean that no print preview window is displayed and the 'hidden' text
is printed, it may be that you have inadvertently turned events off.

In the immediate window, try:

? Application.EnableEvents

If the value is false, then:

Application.EnableEvents = True

---
Regards,
Norman

"Jim May" wrote in message
I've been toying with thing the past 20 minutes
And it is refusing to work, any observations?

Application.EnableEvents = False
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 2
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 2
ActiveSheet.PrintPreview
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Cancel = True
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Intention, obviously is to hide (from printing) cells C13 and C18.
TIA,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Norman,
Yes, somehow my Application.EnableEvents was set to FALSE; Not sure how,
but anyway..
Q? - Although I have the line:
Cancel = True
Code continues to next line where
Application.EnableEvents = True << This does Run - doesn't it?

Appreciate the answer,,
Jim

= True

"Jim May" wrote in message
I've been toying with thing the past 20 minutes
And it is refusing to work, any observations?

Application.EnableEvents = False
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 2
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 2
ActiveSheet.PrintPreview
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Cancel = True
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Intention, obviously is to hide (from printing) cells C13 and C18.
TIA,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim,

Application.EnableEvents = True << This does Run - doesn't it?

Yes, Jim.

It may well be that events were turned off because the event procedure was
interrupted, during testing, before it reached the above line and, so,
remained disabled.

If application settings are to be changed, it is usually wise to put the
restoring commands in an event handler, e.g:

Sub Whatever(0
On Error Goto XIT

Application.EnableEvents = False
'Your code

XIT:

"Jim May" wrote in message
I've been toying with thing the past 20 minutes
And it is refusing to work, any observations?

Application.EnableEvents = False
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 2
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 2
ActiveSheet.PrintPreview
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Cancel = True
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Intention, obviously is to hide (from printing) cells C13 and C18.
TIA,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried an interesting thing.. (to better understand what's going on in the
mind of Excel)
I thought.. Why are we even showing Line 2
Application.EnableEvents = False
and Line 9
Application.EnableEvents = True

so I commented them both out and Clicked on the print-preview button as
before. But nothing happened. The
Print-Preview click did nothing.

Q? - Why is that?
Major breakthrough when I comprehend this!!
TIA,
Jim

"Jim May" wrote in message
I've been toying with thing the past 20 minutes
And it is refusing to work, any observations?

Application.EnableEvents = False
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 2
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 2
ActiveSheet.PrintPreview
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Cancel = True
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Intention, obviously is to hide (from printing) cells C13 and C18.
TIA,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim,

I thought.. Why are we even showing Line 2
Application.EnableEvents = False
and Line 9
Application.EnableEvents = True

Events are turned off to prevent the line:

ActiveSheet.PrintPreview

from generating a new BeforePrint event.

so I commented them both out and Clicked on the print-preview button as
before. But nothing happened

With events enabled, the Cancel instruction stops the preview window from
being displayed.

On the basis that a picture is worth a thousand words, try putting break
points on each linr of the code. Then issue a print (preview) instruction.
Try this both with the EventsEnabled lines commented and not commented.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Jim May" wrote in message
I've been toying with thing the past 20 minutes
And it is refusing to work, any observations?

Application.EnableEvents = False
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 2
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 2
ActiveSheet.PrintPreview
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C13").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C18").Font.ColorIndex = 1
Cancel = True
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Intention, obviously is to hide (from printing) cells C13 and C18.
TIA,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Norman,
Thanks - Gotta get to work right now; Will study over this tonight --
appreciate your explanation.
Jim