Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help: Compile error: type mismatch: array or user defined type expected

Hi there,

I defined a type named testArray and student() as an array of testArray
type. The compiler always reports "array or user defined type expected"
compile error no matter how I give the array parameter to the function.

Public Type testArray
age() As Integer
End Type

Sub calling()
Dim student() As testArray
called (student)
End Sub

Sub called(ByRef temparray() As testArray)
temparray(1).age(1) = 20
End Sub

What's wrong with called(student)?

I also tried called(student()). It doesn't work either.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help: Compile error: type mismatch: array or user defined type exp

First things first. Get rid of the brackets for the Called sub. They will
mess things up. You can either have

Call Called(student())
or
Called Sutdent()

Secondly you need to define the array sizes. Either explicitly when they are
created or through a redim

Public Type testArray
age(5) As Integer
End Type

Sub calling()
Dim student(10) As testArray

called student()
End Sub

Sub called(ByRef temparray() As testArray)
temparray(1).age(1) = 20
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

#13 type mismatch error on user form for Dave Peterson Janis Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 January 17th 08 07:35 PM
User-defined data type; Error: Only User-defined types... tiger_PRM Excel Programming 1 July 18th 04 03:32 PM
Compile error: type mismatch pjhageman Excel Programming 2 January 10th 04 08:48 PM
setting ctl to array of checkboxes yields type mismatch error. tritan Excel Programming 0 July 11th 03 09:22 PM
setting ctl to array of checkboxes yields type mismatch error. Tritan Excel Programming 0 July 11th 03 07:50 PM